"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

April 27, 2023

Fiction: Weird tales from the Wardrobe

01
I was in the wardrobe since forever or so I had imagined. Time was there but I only felt its presence from here and there. Now and then, I was taken out for a brief meeting with the sunshine after a thorough run through the cool, bubbly water. Sometimes if the weather was foul, I was thrown into a large heated box where I spun round and round until I could take no more and the water had been squeezed out of me. I was then folded and tucked inside a box and placed back into the wardrobe. Once, I was always bringing warmth and comfort to everyone but now I'm wore thin but they still kept me. I had a lot of time to enjoy the sounds of the living passing through. It's not much but I carried on as the choice to stay or to leave was never mine.

02
I was often opened and closed like a book. Time wore me down but time also kept me intact. I missed only what was written and sometimes what wasn't. Black and blue, I sometimes bled and even red, now and then. Color was a joy to me and so was the folds and lines of my outer shell. Sometimes, I was folded up and crammed into a box and placed in the back of the wardrobe. Other times, I was taken out and placed here and there. Once, I had started out as a clean, flat, empty void and in time, I was full of hope, despair, happiness, desires and everything in between. Were I to be given a choice, I would have stayed empty. Once filled, I had no choice but to feel everything.

03
Always, I wore my smile, now slightly faded, even when a part of me is broken. My job was to smile and bring joy to the little ones. Sometimes I wished I had a voice to talk to them, tell them how well they are doing or what they must stop doing or even to say a few words of comfort when they are unhappy. But words was not my talent. My smile was but it didn't always bring joy. Once, I was thrown against a wall. For weeks, my view was tilted but I didn't fret. It was normal to expect some calamities. Later, I was tucked into the back of the wardrobe and left in the darkness. Once in a while, when the door to the wardrobe opened, a bit of light would land on me and hope would sneak into my thoughts but it quickly left when the door was closed. In time, I knew I was never going anywhere. Was it my fate to stay in the darkness? The darkness had no answer. I had no answer. I continued to smile whether anyone sees it or not.

Can you guess the object in each story?
The answers may vary from what I intended but if you want to know, answers over here.

For more about the A-Z Challenge, go here.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Christine: Thanks. And thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: Thanks. And thanks for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. "Were I to be given a choice, I would have stayed empty. Once filled, I had no choice but to feel everything."
    I love this line.

    I thought N°3 was a stuffed animal of sorts, maybe a teddy bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta: That line was my favorite to write.

      #3 can be a stuffed animal, lots of dolls and stuff animals have certain smile on them.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut