"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

April 24, 2024

Unspoken

I'm too polite and meek to say anything rude when people say rude or insulting things to me but sometimes it's nice to imagine I could. Here are some those instances I wish I had said something. The wording are not exact as I don't remember them.

01 - Lady: "You'll never work in this town again!"

What I wished I had said: "Listen, lady, tell that minion of yours (who was a man) to schedule you a spa day or somewhere to relax before you have a heart attack."
Situation: I just cancelled an appointment for a job interview over the phone and she just started threatening me and cursing me out. She was a bit hysterical for reasons I'll never know. I erased her info and I never met her.

02 - Teacher: "You know, you're the most boring student I have ever had."

What I wished I had said: "You're boring too. Maybe you should quit teaching before you put the entire school to sleep."
Situation: We were just having one of those mindless conversations and that's what he said. I was a quiet student. I don't remember the subject but I might have fallen asleep in his class a few times. He had a right to his opinion but if he was a better teacher, his student wouldn't be as bored as I was.

03 - Professor: "What do you want to be when you grow up?"
What I wished I had said: "I'm not sure but I'm certain I don't want to be you."
Situation: That was a joke referring to me being short which I don't appreciate and it's not funny. He was a sort of stand-in guidance counselor so I didn't take his advice. I don't recall why I even met the man because he wasn't helpful at all.

Did you wish you have some comeback for some rude or insulting remarks?

10 comments:

  1. The best comebacks always occur to me once the incident is long past, alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra: It's true. We can only think of a good comeback afterward, so sad.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. I also cannot think on my feet like that but maybe it is a good thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: I guess so since we're polite people after all.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I can never think of my responses quickly. Which might be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: Yes. Some things is better unsaid, I suppose.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. Yes, it's unbelievable for years I didn't speak as I was shocked by the meanness of some people and I couldn't answer.
    Having gained experience from this world, now I try to turn evil with kindness, I try and find something beautiful and say it.
    I think I can no longer be touched by rudeness.
    Have a great day🌼!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katerina: I guess I'm not that good at ignoring rudeness and insults as you but you're right. We should try to be kind and ignore those bad things.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. I can never think of rude answers on the spot. Only later. And then I'm annoyed I didn't say them then. Although, that is probably better.
    I like Katerina's idea and I think I mostly do that nowadays. Still, sometimes they would deserve a rude answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne: I guess it's better not to have a reply right away because you can say things you don't want just beause you're angry or insulted.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut