"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

April 09, 2022

Honest Confessions From a Longtime Blogger

This April (or perhaps June, I sort of lost track which is the actual month I started blogging) I've been blogging for 16 years. So here are some honest confessions (and maybe some random ramblings) about blogging.

01 - I use Google's Blogger which I think it's a good platform for me as it lets me do whatever I want with my blog template. I have a temporary sidebar with the A-Z links but I usually prefer a one-column blog as I find sidebar items a distraction and also, it's hard to keep a sidebar from looking cluttered. (Don't be surprised my sidebar is gone by the end of the month.)
    Blogger is far, far from perfect. I think any platform you use, there will be issues but that's to be expected as nothing is perfect. The downside of using Blogger all these years is now I have no clue how to use Wordpress if I switched over which will probably never happen. Blogger is free so who knows maybe one day, it won't be. As with everything, it won't stay the same.

02 - I still sort of think of myself as a newbie because I still have no idea what to post every time I signed into my blog. Yes, I have ideas but it usually takes me a week to decide if I want to post an idea. I'm hesitant a lot even for posts I have written and created art for and even formatted the post in Blogger. It's probably why I have large gaps in between posts. I should be able to decide on a post after all these years but I don't. (This A-Z challenge is a real challenge because I only have a few hours each day, sometimes only two, to decide on an idea, write it, format it and post it.) 

03 - Like other people, I want to preserve some of my web presence but I pretty much deleted all my previous blogs because I find them not worth persevering. (Although my last blog is still up over here.) I see a lot of bloggers and web users keeping their old blogs or websites around so people can browse them but let's be honest, no one visits those old blogs or websites unless it's by accident or if you suddenly thought that person might just start updating (which is a lot of wishful thinking.) I think of these old blogs and websites as museums - you visit them once and then stop because there are no new exhibits. But sometimes it really is nice to visit old blogs and recheck what is there. 

04 - Blogging to me is in normal speed when compare with social media. I prefer to be slow because then I can take the time to really enjoy everything I read and write and look at. I don't necessarily have to hurry along and move on to the next thing. I certainly don't have to rush to put a post together so I can get it out faster (unless I'm doing the A-Z challenge). Not to say you don't take the time with social media, only that, I just get the feeling there are no slow time with social media.

05 - I still enjoy blogging. I get a little thrill whenever I release a post into the blogosphere. There is some fear and some oh-it's-probably-a-bad-idea feeling mix in but it's a thrill nonetheless. I suppose you can think of a blog post as something like a art piece that you want the world to give some sort of reaction to. You know it's nice to be accepted and liked even if it came from a stranger from the other side of the world whom you've probably never heard of or met but for the few seconds, you sort of met them and feel some connection with them even though it might just be your imagination but I like to think there is something there for that brief moment in time. I guess it's weird to ask strangers for opinions, comments, when you're not certain who they are or what they're thinking. I like to think we're all friends here supporting each other with kind words because if we think badly of people when we don't know them, then this world isn't all that fun to be in.

Are you a longtime blogger? If so, what do you think of blogging now?

Blogging from A to Z 2022
For more about Blogging from A to Z Challenge, click on the image above or go here.

14 comments:

  1. I have been blogging for a while now, and am endlessly grateful for the people I meet here in the blogosphere I learn from them, I laugh with them and I weep with and for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: You put it quite nicely. It really is nice to interact with other bloggers and readers.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Wow, congratulations on 16 years of blogging. I'm just at one year, but I love it so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WendyW: One year is still a lot of time. I often seen some who quit after a month.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I am a long time blogger and still enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: I have seen your blog archive and you seemed to have blogged as long as I did.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. Gratz on 16 years! I'm in my 11th year of blogging and still enjoying it. I like the big format with slow speed, many pictures, links, explanations and not least the interaction with nice people all over the world - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: I've always found time seems longer in the blogosphere. Blogging is the big format, slow but big.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. Great post! I'm coming up on ten years this December, so I guess I'm not technically a new blogger any more, but I don't feel like a very experienced blogger either. There's still so many things I don't know how to do. I'm glad you're still around the blogosphere. I enjoy reading your posts and viewing your art. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark: I feel the same way. I don't think am as experienced as like to be. There's always something new coming up around the blogosphere.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. Love that quote! I'm a Blogger old timer now I guess lol, I don't really have any desire to switch to Wordpres at the moment although Blogger does have a lot of flaws. And I agree- I enjoy the pace of blogging. No Tik Tok for me. :)

    And I SO agree with #5! I still get a thrill when I post something, and I love seeing comments from blog/ Internet friends and making a connection over books or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: I guess I'm like you. I don't have any desire to switch to Wordpress, no tik tok for me either. People keeps coming up with new social media sites that sometimes I think blogs are the only stable medium. And Comments are always great.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. I have blogged for 13 years and agree that it is the slowness that I like, taking time to consider what I write. I did a little thing in 2020 called '100 days to offload' that I liked and encouraged me to write more spontaneously about what I was thinking and things I was upset or annoyed by, and it was quite good for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martine: I think the slowness is what makes blogging different from social media. That '100 days to offload' sounds like a good challenge.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut