"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

April 16, 2022

Fiction: Night Stroll

Starry Night Over the Rhône, Vincent van Gogh, 1888
Starry Night Over the Rhône, Vincent van Gogh, 1888
Fiction: Night Stroll
The two strolled away from the edge of the river after they had, longingly, soaked in the night stars into their dreamy eyes. It was the perfect evening for moving in silence. So said the man beside the woman. They had always gotten along but tonight, they understood each with a few glances, as if they had always been a pair.
    Their gazes met again. They both smiled. She put her hand through his arm. He pressed the back of her hand gently. The warmth of her skin made everything he did before this moment the past, the things he shall forget.
    Yes, thought the man, it was a perfect evening. Still, his mind strayed to the man at the bottom of the river, the man he had pushed in without even a second thought. Was it right of him to do such things just to keep this woman's heart? He smiled again at the woman by his side. Even though he might regret everything the next evening they go strolling, tonight was his and it was his perfect dream.

Blogging from A to Z 2022
For more about Blogging from A to Z Challenge, click on the image above or go here.

8 comments:

  1. How I love that painting - and mourn that he only sold ONE painting while he was alive.
    I wonder what secrets the woman in this newly formed pair is hiding...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: I guess that's an artist's life sometimes - you only get famous after your demise which I suppose it isn't bad since he's more famous now than when he was alive.

      When I wrote this, I sort of decided the woman is innocent and knows nothing about the man's action or perhaps she's blind to it, love can make people do incredible things.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. A huge twist for so short a story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta: I actually was going for a romantic tale because the painting is quite lovely but somehow I ended up with this instead. Maybe I should worry that my posts seems to be leaning toward a murderous theme.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. That painting is good inspiration for your writing, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: I did saw the painting first before I came up with the story so yes, the painting did inspired me.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. Something about the night stars! And wow what a secret! I wonder if th woman is in on it. Probably if it just happened and she was there. Thank you for the short but fun story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: I like to think the man push the other man into the water before the woman's arrival. But I said in my other reply, I had intended that the woman doesn't know anything but perhaps she does and choose to ignore it.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut