"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

February 22, 2024

Retro Minute #8: Wallflower

To sort of celebrate 18 years of blogging, I'm sharing 18 of my favorite posts from previous blogs. Here's the eighth post from June2 4, 2010 from Just writing words blog.

I don't remember if I created this art for this poem or perhaps I created the art and then write the words? But they seem to go together.
drawing of girl against floral wall patterns
wallpaper girl

Wallflower

I don't live here, who can say
I casually occupy this life, this space
a room within another room
where sometimes I am awake
sometimes I am asleep

I don't live here, not really
all my possessions packed inside tiny boxes
lined and stacked against the corners
rearrange now and then
to change my horizon

I don't live here, how can you tell
when I blend in so easily
a wallpaper with no patterns
a small form with no shape
a blurred shadow barely seen
inside someone's eye

I don't live here, can it be true
am I a stranger within another stranger
a drift of a whisper among whispers
sometimes I become easily recognized
as being part of the living
a body among millions
I come and I go
forever in the motion of moving

I don't live here, not really
now and then
if you stand close enough
you can almost hear me
a small cry in the careless wind
a whim of a gentle spirit
I slowly merge with everything
if anyone ask
I don't live here
is what I'll say

6 comments:

  1. Wonderfully written poem and accompanying art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra: Thank you for your kind words.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Lovely art and words -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: Thanks. And thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I remember the art - you must have reposted it more recently - but the poem was new to me! Very inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta R.: I have used this art piece without the poem a few times on my various blogs. I just love it.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut