"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

February 25, 2024

Retro Minute #11: Are you somebody I know?

To sort of celebrate 18 years of blogging, I'm sharing 18 of my favorite posts from previous blogs. Here's the eleventh post from February 21, 2014 from Sleepwalking in NY blog. Note: I didn't see this doppelganger of mine again after awhile so who knows. I might have imagined her.


Are you somebody I know?

“Wherever I go, I run into myself.” ― Dejan Stojanovic, The Shape
I saw my doppelganger the other day. She wore a long black coat and an ivory-colored newsboy hat. She stood as tall as I was. Even as I tried to steer my eyes away, I could not help but glance at her.
    I have seen her many times before as if she is following me or maybe I'm following her instead? Perhaps I might even have seen her for than a couple of years but only now have I come to realize she is more me than me. She dresses like me in dull colors and carries a white shoulder bag crisscrossed over her shoulder. She bends her head like me in that wandering and shy way. She even have the same habit of dinning at the same two cafes during lunch hours.
    Sometimes I think about introducing myself to her and befriending her but I fear of what her response might be. Perhaps she will bluntly turn me away or perhaps she will hate the fact that I'm like her or she is like me. And then I would have to leave quietly, ashamed for even talking to her.
    Perhaps it is best not to know what she is really like. Even if I do speak to her, what would I say? What does one say to not sound like a crazy loon and at the same time elicit a good response? Hello? That is as far as I get when it comes to introducing myself. I have a terrible habit of becoming silent after an introduction. And besides, I'm so bad at small talk as my replies would be very brief. Thoughts swing through my head often but they don't stick around for me to even use them.
    Perhaps once I get out my hello, she would have already decided I'm no one to befriend and walk away. Perhaps she will be polite about it and afterward, she will avoid me like the plague. Or perhaps she would not respond at all as she, like other people, likes to wear her headphone sometimes and will not hear me talk.
    Twice, I was mistaken for someone else. Once was from some teenage boy who seemed to know me but I don't remember meeting him. Another time was a middle-age man whom upon seeing me, started speaking about something that I have absolutely no clue of and then he walked off saying goodbye as if he will see me again. I don't know either person. If I did, wouldn't I have some memory of them? I didn't have any response to anything they said but I silently thought, "Who the hell are you and why are you talking to me?" Perhaps they have mistook me for her, my doppelganger?

So I ask you, if you happen to meet yourself or your doppelganger, what would you say?

6 comments:

  1. Without your introduction, I'd have thought this was one of your fiction pieces! What a wild story. I don't know what I would do or say if I met my doppelganger. I think I'd stay away and be annoyed because I like to think I'm unique...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta: Of course, she, my twin, didn't look like me exactly but there are people who just reminds you of you and she reminded me of me. I like to think we are all unique too until we are faced with our doppelganger.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Around 45 years ago, when I was in university, people kept telling me that they had seen someone who looked just like me, like a twin. This went on for quite awhile and then, one day when I was on the bus, I looked out a window at people on the sidewalk as we went by, and there she was! My doppelganger! And yes, she did look exactly like me! But I never happened to run across her again, so she will always remain a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra: That would have been an interesting meeting if you had met her face to face. But maybe it's better not to meet her and stay a mystery.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Interesting to think of meeting yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: Would have liked to meet yourself?

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut