"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

July 03, 2022

June Books

book on desk with cup, more books, plant
June was a slow month and yet it went fast. The temperature here is rather high and I hate it but mostly because I have no air conditioner. Every summer, I just sweat it out. But I think I prefer to complain about the weather than the news since they keep reporting one miserable thing after another. I don't want to say I wasted June but I sort of did since I mostly resort to watching youtube and I might have read a few books and did some blogging. Here are some books I read in June:

The Counterclockwise Heart by Brian Farrey
01 - The Counterclockwise Heart by Brian Farrey > link
What's it about: a prince with a clock heart, a giant statue, magic users, something about murdering children to keep one's place at the palace
    Basically, it's written like two stories being told at once until they blend together at the end. With four and two half-ish perspectives, it's a bit scattered so I sort didn't think the two stories go together too well or perhaps it just seems like they shouldn't go together.
    Maybe if I care about the characters, which I barely do, perhaps I would have liked this more. Prince Alphonsus is kind of bland even with a clock for a heart and Esmee is unlikeable and doesn't seem to know how to be a child. And the bad guy, Guntram, seems like a misunderstood, perpetual child who throws a tantrums (like trying to kill Alphonsus) just because things aren't going his way. It's pretty easy to hate Guntram because they didn't give him any good qualities and I believe coming from a bad family does not justify the murdering of children.
    I really did expected some exciting answer as to why Alphonsus has a clock for a heart and why it starts to go backward but somehow the answer is rather bland. And why was the counting down of his clock is unrelated to him? Why have that element if it has nothing to do with him? I also thought Esmee would work together with Alphonsus to help each but in the end, they still seems to be living separate stories even though they make it sound like they have become friends at the end but I didn't that.

    Summary: This feels like two separate stories being told at once even if they do blend together at the end. I didn't like having so many perspectives and the way it was written seemed a bit scattered. I did finished it hoping it would get better but sadly, I thought it was a bit bland.

Pet Potions (4 books) by Ami Diane
02 - Pet Potions Series (4 books) by Ami Diane > link
What's it about: potion making, murder, a house that moves things around, pets, friendship
       I think it's refreshing we have potion makers instead of witches though here potion making is not considered witchcraft even though what the potions can do is quite magical like being able to understand an animal or make someone grow an extra arm. The Potion Masters Society is shortened to PMS which had me chuckling. They also pretend to be a book club but everyone brings a different book to the meetings. There is a society call AWC (Anti-Witch Coalition) that thinks they are witches and had people spying on the potion masters.
    I don't know why everyone here seems rather immature especially the two main characters, Libby and her friend and fellow potion maker, Marge. They give each other the finger like a bad habit, and is often saying crude things to one another and yet, they are friends. Marge often plays pranks on her ex-husband and she had a lot confident about herself and she dresses in bright and often times quirky clothes. You can say she is a wild child even though she might be in her early fifties. She's definitely my favorite character. But immature as they are, I find Libby and Marge fun and enjoyable to be around. Each book has a murder and each case is solved with a lot of potion making and hi-jinks. Although I didn't think book three was as good as the other three books.
    The main, main plot is Libby trying to find out who murdered her mother and we do get an answer in book four but who is the main culprit behind it is yet to be revealed which I find frustrating because four books in, we should be told at least who it is. But they did introduced a new character whom I think is the main culprit but then again, perhaps the author is piling up love interests for Libby because it's another good looking guy though there is already a love interest of sorts of for Libby.
    Summary: I didn't like all the pop culture references and the jokes were a bit too crude but I really did enjoyed these four books a lot and I laughed out loud which rarely happens.

The Supernatural Society by Rex Ogle
03 -  The Supernatural Society by Rex Ogle > link
What's it about: new kid in town, monsters, friendship, pets
    This could have been fun but somehow it's not. The monsters are just creepy and the children are plain but I really like Linus and the way he talks like an old professor but Will and Ivy, the other two main characters, are just okay. There's no explanation for why Will can see the monsters and others cannot except Ivy who sees the monsters using a ring she inherited from her family. Linus, like the rest of the town, doesn't see the monsters at all.
    This book seems incomplete as with most book series, the larger plot is yet to be known but I do think the ending could have been better and they could have provided more info about what's really happening in the town.
    [Spoilers] Two things that sort spoils the book for me: (1) an annoying narrator and (2) vampire pets. As much as I'm not a fan of vampires, this was such a silly idea. There was a reason behind it but all is pointless because everything reverts back and the pets are no longer vampires. Then there's the narrator who is a monster or so he says. He keeps interrupting the story to go on a tangent about his own experience in whatever is going on in the story but he often veers off to other matters. Why do we need commentaries to the narration? Yes, in a way, it builds the character of the narrator but since we do not know what his relation is to the story, who the hell cares what he had gone through or what he thinks?
    The convenient ending is expected since most middle grade books (which I only recently found out) almost always have convenient plot but the villain, a witch, suddenly stopped and not kill any of the children seems a bit odd to me. I guess they didn't want to kill off any of the main characters but it just seems kind of stupid. I guess there is never any chance the children would get hurt but this ending is really lacking. [Spoiler Ends]
    Summary: I don't know if I'm reading the same book as others since all those reviews said 'the monsters have never been so much fun' and 'frightening and fun' - the monsters aren't fun, they are creepy and maybe frightening but not fun at all. And the villain, well, she seems even less fun and we only get to see her at the end but she doesn't do anything much. The only fun I can say about his book is when Linus (one of the main characters) talk in his professor-like speech. I guess if you're ten years old, you might get the fun but I didn't.

The Lord of Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
04 - The Lord of Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien > link
What's it about: rings, powers, wizards, kingdoms, kings & lords, wars, elves, dwarves, halfings (hobbits), friendship, good verses evil
    Summary: Technically, I started these three books in May and finished on the last day of June. The Lord of Rings was a good reading experience, a bit slow, but good but I think I have too short attention span to fully enjoy this book. (I still think of the three books as one because they just divided the book up in three and I think it's what makes it easier to digest). I wrote some reading logs and here are the links:  logs 1, logs 2, logs 3, logs 4, logs 5, logs 6.

How was your June? And how is your July so far?

6 comments:

  1. Any month where you read isn't wasted in my eyes. I started to say in my book - which is perhaps the appropriate comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: Yes, reading is not a wasted of time but sometimes it kind of feels like it.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: Thank you for coming by even if you deleted your comment.

      Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Christine: Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut