"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

May 14, 2022

The Lord of the Rings Reading Logs 1

drawing of cup, book, candle
I'm reading or trying to read The Lord of the Rings and I thought it would fun to keep a record of my reading or not reading. My wandering mind and eyes can't stay attention to the words too long so I decided to read a little bit at time so it might take a while to finish the first book and then maybe the rest. Who knows. I might quit just after the first book.
    A while back, I brought the paperback box set that included 4 books: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King and The Hobbit. I didn't start with The Hobbit because I just prefer to think of that as a long prequel that I might or might not read depending on if I like these books.
    The plot according to the back of the book: In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit is entrusted with an immense task. He must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power - the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord's evil dominion.

The Fellowship of the Ring
Here's a my thoughts on my reading of The Fellowship of the Ring so far. My copy is the HarperCollins 2020 edition.

01 -  I started reading The Fellowship of the Ring in the beginning of April. The prologue is 16 pages and even have chapter breaks. It's all about the history of the hobbits which I find quite a slow start. I am doubting I'll remember reading any of this by the end of the book. I didn't read the two notes on the text nor the foreword. Does this still count as reading if I skip those?
    As of today, I read up to a little over 100 pages so you can tell by that how slow I'm going and we're still in the Shire and haven't moved an inch toward the journey that Frodo has to go on.

02 - So many details, so many back stories and every little thing is mentioned in detail. Okay, I'm exaggerating but it feels exactly like that. Most of the things mentioned might be better summed up but perhaps the details is what most people love but I don't quite care for them but at least the writing is enjoyable.

03 - I don't get why there is sometimes a space between paragraphs. Spaces between paragraph usually means time had passed or it's starting a new scene or something new but some of the spaces didn't make sense to me but who am I to question such decisions?

04 - The singing/lyrics annoys me. I never seem to have patience for them and I don't know why that is. I flipped through the pages and there seems to be more of them. It's probably a bad idea to peek forward because that creates expectations, bad expectation.

05 - Here's this passage that stood out to me and sort of sums up my reading experience so far:
'I should like to save the Shire, if I could - though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them. But I don't feel like that now. I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again.'
- Frodo, page 62.

That's it for this first log. If you plan on reading along, let me know.

10 comments:

  1. Ohh welcome aboard this journey. I loved, and love The Lord of the Ring immensely and have read. re-read, and re-re-read it at least 8 times in its entirety. Same for The Hobbit. I only read The Silmarillion twice as yet, once in Danish and once in English, Try to read the poems - they grow on you. I also found them a but dull even inane in the begining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: The lyrics are like poems but I don't seem to have patience for them. But maybe when I re-read it some day, I might like them.

      It's quite slow at the beginning but it sort of pick up later on. But this is only the first book I'm reading.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. I am with Charlotte (MotherOwl) here. And you have reminded me it is too long since I have reread it. I only read the Silmarillion once (and will admit to some skim reading). My bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: I have heard of the Silmarillion but I don't think I'll read that.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Christine: Thanks. And thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. Oh this is fun. Yes Fellowship starts out slooow. I used to hate all the boring Shire stuff but I appreciate it more now that I've percolated in the Middle- earth lore a little bit over the years. But yes SLOW going.

    I'm hardly a Tolkien scholar but I've seen lots of commentary about how Tolkien loved the English countryside, and I think that's reflected in his endless Shire descriptions. :) I also play Lord of the Rings online and for all its faults, that game does a wonderful job of evoking the Shire feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: It is slow but aren't these books supposed to be slow? Maybe it's a bit too slow.

      Yes, there are tons of descriptions of the landscapes. It does give a nice visual but I'm not much of a fan yet of the Shire.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. I love keeping a reading log of what I read, especially for classics and books that are a journey. I can't wait to hear more of your thoughts!!

    Zoë x
    (zbestbooks.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoë: This is actually the first time I keep any type of logs for reading a book. Even though I'm a regular reader and even post book reviews, I don't usually like to keep notes or anything except when I come across a great quote.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut