"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

July 13, 2022

Book series I've only read one book of

I seem to have read a lot of first book in a series and quitting a lot of them. As I do not read book series out of order (most of the time anyway), I only have the first book to judge whether I want to continue reading the rest of the series or not. But is this fair judgement? The 'it gets better in later books' could work but still, why do readers have to hope the series will get better in later books? What if it takes three or five books to get better? For a standalone, maybe, but for a series, I don't think readers should waste time reading books they don't enjoy just to get to one that they do enjoy.
    Of course, I'm not saying I am unwilling to slough through a few books to get to the good stuff because I have and half of the time, it's worth it and the other, not so much. And just because I quit a series doesn't mean I won't pick them up at a later time. I could have a sudden interest and boom, I'm reading a series I have quit. I have a long list of series that I didn't finish but I'll list ten that I think are worth mentioning.
    Here are ten series that I have quit reading after the first book (only the first book cover is shown). Spoilers for #4 and #9.

Nevermoor - The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend
01 - Nevermoor - The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend > link
I guess I have too high an expectation because I was disappointed by the magic (or the lack of as some of the magic didn't seem to be magic at all) and the lack of humor considering the premise sounded so much fun. There was a giant cat and even a vampire dwarf - why wasn't it fun? The way this was written bothered me a bit as it sometimes it seem like it could a fun adventure, sometimes a sophisticated story, and then there was a brief moment of horror (why would you compare something to 'entrails from a carcass'?) and toward the end, it seems like it was going to a darker storyline but it didn't. I don't know. All I know my brain refused to find any enjoyment when I tried to read the second book.


City of Ghosts (Book 1 in the Cassidy Blake Series) by Victoria Schwab
02 - City of Ghosts (Book 1 in the Cassidy Blake Series) by Victoria Schwab > link
This first book seems like a young adult book but it reads like a middle grade. It's rather slow moving and perhaps because of the characters who seems rather laid-back or perhaps I was not in the mood when I read this, it was bland.

The Keepers of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger
03 - The Keepers of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger > link
Basically Sophie, the main character, annoys me as a character. Being accident-prone and failing a couple of classes aren't really flaws and these seems like they are added to make her character believable and even likable but I find it's hard to believe she's even a real person and harder to like or even relate to. Plus how many special abilities does she need anyway? And are we to believe 15 and 16-year-old boys are interested in 12-year-old Sophie and going ga-ga over her? And the licking magic? Yeah, that was stupid and unsanitary.

The Supernatural Society by Rex Ogle
04 - The Supernatural Society by Rex Ogle > link
Spoilers: Two words: Vampire pets - that's just so silly but also the story wasn't fun. The only fun I can say about his book is when Linus (one of the main characters) talk in his professor-like speech. It was more scary-bland to me, the monsters were a bit scary and the story was bland.

05 - Girl Giant and the Monkey King (Book 1) by Van Hoang with illustrations by Nguyen Quang and Kim Lien
05 - Girl Giant and the Monkey King (Book 1) by Van Hoang with illustrations by Nguyen Quang and Kim Lien > link
I did enjoyed the first book and the illustrations are cute but I didn't like the direction it was going. But I understand this was always was going to be the direction but I sort of didn't realize it until the end.

06 - Deadgirl by B.C. Johnson
06 - Deadgirl by B.C. Johnson > link
I guess I'm not much into teenagers because I didn't like any of the characters and I find all the characters (all teenagers) annoying aside from the adults. I think this series is just not for me.

Greenglass House (Book 1) by Kate Milford and Winterhouse #1 by Ben Guterson, Chloe Bristol
07A - Greenglass House (Book 1) by Kate Milford > link
07B - Winterhouse #1 by Ben Guterson, Chloe Bristol (Illustrator) > link
I grouped these two series together since they are quite similar in tone as both takes place in a hotel, both had guests and both are middle grade mysteries. Both started out quite fun but then it sort of became dull. I did try to read the second book of both series but they seemed boring to me so I quit reading them.

Murder Most Unladylike: Book 1 (aka Murder is Bad Manners) by Robin Stevens
08 - Murder Most Unladylike: Book 1 (aka Murder is Bad Manners) by Robin Stevens > link
I simply just couldn't stand the relationship between Hazel and Daisy (the main characters) and how condescending Daisy is to Hazel. What I annoyed me most is why Hazel accepts that Daisy is superior in every way to her. She even admitted that the idea of an Asian Sherlock Holmes is absurd. Why is Hazel thinking this way? I would like her to be her own self, to have confidence in her own abilities and not to follow Daisy's instructions like a servant.  (The series is known as A Wells & Wong Mystery in the US while in the UK, it is known as A Murder Most Unladylike Mystery)

09 - The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (Book 1) by F. C. Yee
09 - The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (Book 1) by F. C. Yee > link
Spoilers: I couldn't stand the romance and the de-aging of the monkey king to a teenager - one with a dumb brain to match his youthful appearance. Basically it's a 500-year-old male romancing a 16-year old female and that's not the kind of romance I want for a YA book. Even though Genie Lo could kick ass but because she is basically a teenager, she is reduced to mush whenever there are scenes of this so-called romance. I also couldn't stand the monkey king's character - is he a love-sick teenager or a 500-year-old idiot? Okay, that may be a little too harsh but basically the monkey king is reduced not only in power but in his maturely, which people can argue, he was never matured but here, he's rather stupid.

The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club Book 1) by Theodora Goss
10 - The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club Book 1) by Theodora Goss > link
I don't like the unnecessary commentaries throughout the book. It's like reading a book with someone beside you talking and saying things that are only thinly related to the story. The series is written like that and since I can't stand it in this first book why read the others?

What about you? Have you quit a series after only reading the first book?

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Christine: Well, I do love to share. Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. I liked the NeverMoor series but haven't come across any of the others. If I don't like book the first I am most unlikely to give the series another chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: I have the same thought about book series but I'm a moody reader so who knows what gets me to read a book.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I read the Nevermoor series. It irritated me (it's not yet finished) as I think the author is trying to always find the least expected way out of any trouble, big or large, that the persons encounter in the books.
    The persons are fun and mostly likeable with great potential for development - which the author according to me misses or drops every time it is about to go anywhere. I will read the next book(s) as well as I am 1. curious, 2. a fast reader.
    By accident I read The Waterless Sea - the second book in the Chanters of Tremaris trilogy by Kate Constable - thinking it was the first. It bothered me greatly that I did not feel I missed very much by not having read number one. I would not read the other two in this trilogy.

    Dare I criticise your English? This sentence bothers me: "I did tried to read the second book of both series, but ..." I see something wrong here, it stops my reading, making me concentrate on grammar instead of what you're saying.
    Broken down: Only one verb in a sentence should be conjugated. Correct is: "I did try to read ..." The verb 'did' is conjugated, so 'try' should keep the infinite form. Maybe it bothers me more, because I'm not a native speaker, I don't know. "Quitted" in the second half of that same sentence bothered me as well - I expected 'quit'. But it seems that "quitted" is just American English ;) And yes, I look up things like this when reading. I'm a nerd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: I think I might give Nevermoor another chance but just not right now.

      Sometimes you can read a series out of order without missing anything, I can't say if this is a good thing or bad thing.

      I welcome criticism of my English. I keep questioning my choice of words these days. Sometimes I think everything I write is wrong and keep trying to correct it only ending up making more mistakes. I think your English is better than mine and it's fine to tell me if I make a mistake.

      I think you're corrected about that sentence. I should use 'try' instead of 'tried'. 'Quitted' is correct but I probably should use 'quit' instead as it's more popular. Sometimes I just used 'quitted' for no reason.

      Anyway, I have corrected/changed them.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear that some of these were disappointing for you! I was surprised to see a decent number of popular titles that I'd intended to read at some point but haven't gotten around to yet-- I'm thinking of City of Ghosts, The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter, and The Epic Crush of Genie Lo. I might reconsider reading them now that I've heard some of your critiques, thank you for sharing :)

    claire @ clairefy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire: Don't let my opinions keep you from reading any of these books. I always seems to dislike books other love. Reading is a preference. You should maybe read some samples before deciding.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. "And are we to believe 15 and 16-year-old boys are interested in 12-year-old Sophie and going ga-ga over her? And the licking magic? Yeah, that was stupid and unsanitary."
    Goodness. Maybe some of them would, but the very thought bothers me. And licking magic?!? For real?!? It does sound stupid and unsanitary.

    I hear you about Genie Lo (which I haven't read though). Not the kind of romance I would want to read about (if I read romance, that is).

    Ouch, Deadgirl 😂. No, really, it's fair. Lucy grew on me during the story, and her predicament was so unique, but I realise that she can annoy a different kind of reader. Sorry I inspired you to read a book you didn't like 😬.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta: Yes, the licking magic was in the book but maybe they dial it down in the later books but I just hated that.

      Genie Lo would have been a great read for me if not for the dumb romance. I do like her character but I couldn't stand the monkey king character here.

      Actually, it's not your fault I read Deadgirl and nor was it your fault I didn't like it. I think it's more of your type of book than mine. At least, it wasn't a terrible read.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. That's a shame about Nevermoor because I've heard a few good things, but yeah... sometimes a book or series just work for whatever reason.

    I remember when Greenglass House came out but I never did pursue it. Bummer too about the Stevens books, although I do like those covers... same with Alchemist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: I'm not saying Nevermoor was bad, I just didn't like it like other people.

      Middlegrade books have such great covers.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. Interesting what you say about Murder Most Unladylike - I devoured the series a few years ago but can't really remember much. I would like to reread it now and see if my thoughts have changed!!

    Zoë
    zbestbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoë: I suppose I might be making a big deal out of nothing but that was my impression when I read it. I think younger readers like you probably wouldn't notice as much or rather, maybe you just read it different than I did. I'm certain if I read this when I was younger, it might not even bother me how Daisy treated Hazel.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  8. I have to chuckle at your assessment of Keeper of the Lost Cities. My eleven-year-old was REALLY into this series last year. She gushed about it so much I read the first two books alongside her, and then I couldn't take anymore. It was all just too much. And it didn't get any better- it just got worse. Improbable things happening just for the plot, adults that act and talk like children, kids that are always saving the day yawn. I can easily see why my own pre-teen found it so thrilling, though! It was perfect for her, the intended audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeane: I believe Keeper of The Lost Cities series is for certain younger audience than me so maybe that's why I couldn't enjoy it. Although I have read many middle grade books and enjoyed them so perhaps this series is written very specifically for children.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut