"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

July 10, 2022

Some Blogging Musings

girl sitting in a tree, holding a book
'thumbelina 3'

01 - I put back my blogroll (it used to be titled bookmarks) in the links below the header. I had removed it because it just seems like unnecessary sharing and also, I didn't really update it. But now I'm going to keep it up there even if it's more for my use but who knows, maybe you'll find a new blog to read from the list.
    My blogroll is very biased. All the blogs there I have an interest in but even if I had visited your blog and left hundreds of comments and it's not on my list, it doesn't mean anything. Sometimes I get too lazy to update the list but I did recently removed several blogs that had not been updated for several years. It sadden me that those bloggers no longer blogs but I guess that's the way things go. It's definitely easier to remove a link than to add since the list is quite long. It's a table html which is not easy to change.
    I notice lots of bloggers no longer have blogrolls which probably doesn't mean anything. I guess blogrolls are outdated or simply no longer useful as people use others methods to read blogs (ie, feeds or email subscriptions) and perhaps it's better but I don't know. I don't use feeds and I don't follow or subscribe to blogs anymore so my blogroll is my way to visiting blogs. So perhaps I don't always know when someone has updated their blog but I don't mind this. I'm just glad people are still updating their blogs. If you have a blogroll on your blog, let me know. I like to browse them and find new blogs. Update: I've renamed my blogroll back to Bookmarks.

02 - I've changed my blog's header.
It's not much different than the previous but slightly changed. Instead of boots, pen, flowers, there is cupcake, typewriter and dandelions.

previous header
previous header

new header
new header
I changed the tagline from Books & Ramblings to books, writings, ramblings. I was going to add art but I don't know since I've not posted a lot of art lately. Maybe I'll add that if I change the header again. It's a lot of work to make a new header especially if you're as indecisive as me. If you want to see the previous, previous header, go here to this post.

03 - I have noticed that more blogs are now using text only headers. This isn't a bad thing but I think text headers don't say as much as a header with an image. But I'm more of a visual person so perhaps I'm biased. But I do think a visual header is better and often, more memorable. But of course, it's a preference.

Have you anything you want to share today (blogging or just life in general)? Let us know in the comments.

12 comments:

  1. I really like your new header.😍 It's pretty, and as a visual person too, I like visual headers over text headers. Now there is nothing wrong with text headers I understand people may have them because they aren't an artist and/or don't want to pay an artist to make one. But I really love making headers with images, because I feel it can make a blog stand out. 🙂
    I like blogrolls because they help me find new blogs (along with Blog Button pages), though, I worry that I would leave someone out accidentally or that someone would feel left out. I will say blog button pages are nice to do, because there is an initial agreement that both bloggers give a shout out to each other's blogs. (Or in some cases someone decides to post your blog button on their blog, even if you don't have a blog button page). Anyway both are nice blog rolls and blog button pages. Though recently I actually had someone for no reason at all remove my blog button from their page, which came off as rude to me especially since I had both updated their button when it changed and kept their blog button up (and on top of that we had agreed to do a button swap-- so it wasn't just a random person who put the button up) I got them to put it back, but it still felt really rude. 😕

    Anyway in other blogging discussions, I've noticed a lot of old bloggers who I used to follow who became inactive have come back. So it's great to see, old bloggers coming back to the blogosphere. I just noticed two recently that did. 😊
    Also, I really love the artwork at the top of the post. It's really beautiful I love all the colors. :D And her facial expression as well.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinley: I think you're right. Some bloggers don't know how to change their header aside from not being able to create one. It's still a preference whether to have a visual header or a text one.

      Blogrolls are biased so yes, sometimes we may left someone out and honestly, the only reason I'm a bit hesitant about sharing my blogroll for that reason. But I don't want to put blogs there that I have no interest simply to please someone.

      I've never done a blog button swap but it sounds like a good idea but it also sounds like it could create some issues. But it's rude to take down your button when you guys agreed on it.

      That artwork is not new but I really loved it. I may have shared a few times.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Nice sketch! We got a new roof today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: Thanks. I hope your new roof is working well.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I really like your new header. And thank you for including me on your blog roll. I use the reading list on my dashboard to see who has put up an updated post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: I like your blog. I even find the cat photos endearing.

      I still have some blogs on my dashboard that I had subscribed to and check on now and then.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. I liked your previous header a tad more because the elements in it were more scattered, and I loved those winged boots. But I pretty much love every design and art you put forth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta: I do like those winged boots as well. Maybe I'll put them back when I changed the header which I probably will. I do like the previous look of the scattered elements.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. I miss my blogroll. I used to use it as a means to keep track of certain blogs as much as it was a way to share favorite blogs with my readers. lol Thank you by the way for including mine. :)

    I don't know if you do custom artwork or blog image services at all but I bet you would have some interest if you did. Your work is nice. I love that the woman in this image has a plant supporting her tea. :) I assume that's tea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: I have seen your blogroll and had found a few blogs to put on my list. I don't recall which ones but I'm sure it was a few of them.

      I don't do custom work but maybe I should consider it though I still think my skill is lacking a bit.

      And yes, that is tea or I think it is as I don't drink coffee. Whenever you see a cup in my art, it's usually tea. Or you could think of coffee.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. The word "Bookmarks" sounds more friendly than "Blogroll" ;)
    I like your new header better because it is fit for Summer, but the centre piece of the old one with the blogname written on a postcard was ingenious, and I miss it. I'm a words kind of person, and prefers words over icons and pictures - the funny thing is that my blogheader is actually most often wordless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: Maybe I should changed it back to Bookmarks then? I'll think about this.

      I do love the title in the shape of a postcard as nothing says postcard in the new header. Maybe I'll change it back in the next update.

      I have noticed you do use images for your header which I think fits well with your blog.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut