"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

June 27, 2022

The Lord of the Rings Reading Logs 5

Lord of the rings logs

I've finished The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings, Part 2 by J.R.R. Tolkien.
(The other logs: logs 1, logs 2, logs 3, logs 4)

Here are my thoughts on the last part of The Two Towers with spoilers.

01 - It seemed rather slow this last part but probably because of all the descriptions of the landscape even as Frodo and Sam are moving.

02 - Gollum/Sméagol is quite pitiful. I guess his mind has been warped by the ring so much that he no longer can tell right from wrong, all he wants is the ring. If I was Frodo, I wouldn't trust him but they really didn't have a choice. Sam certainly didn't trust Gollum.

03 - I don't like that Sam acknowledged Frodo as master and Frodo also accepted Sam as his servant, both using the terms quite easily. How are classes defined with hobbits in the Shire? I think Frodo is considered higher class but I'm not sure. We know they care for one another so there's friendship between them so I really do prefer to see them as equals.

04 - I admire Sam for fighting off Shelob, a giant spider of some sort. He's quite courageous but I suppose anyone can be when in dire need. But I think Sam's more admirable when he decided he should complete the task of the ring and carry on Frodo's work when he thought Frodo was dead. It really is a quite a burden and a hard task to decide on.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Lord of the ring: the return of the king book cover
I've started on The Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings Part 3. The plot according to the back of the book: The armies of the Dark Lord are massing as his evil shadow spreads ever wider. Men, Dwarves, Elves and Ents unite forces to do battle against the Dark. Meanwhile, Frodo and Sam struggle further into Mordor in their heroic quest to destroy the One Ring.

Here are my thoughts on the first part of The Return of the King with spoilers.

05 - I realized with this final installment why we get mostly the hobbits' perspectives - it's more of their tale than men. So it makes sense we get mostly Merry, Pippin, Frodo and Sam's perspectives rather than Gandalf or Aragorn though we do get some of their views.

06 - I notice all the men are described as tall (tons of times) aside from hobbits and dwarves - this makes sense considering where it comes from (see #5 above).

07 - I would like to know more of what Gandalf did when he leaves Frodo, Aragorn and company.
He seemed to have done a lot of things but we only a get tiny glance here and there. But I think he cares deeply about the world and wants to help everyone even though most people thought he's nosy which they actually said so even to his face. I suppose since he keeps a lot of things to himself that it makes it hard people to understand him. And he didn't get a lot of apologies or thanks even though he helped a lot of people.

08 - I don't want to say Lady Éowyn is repressed but she is since she only keeps house for the king. I guess in those times, women are not sent to battle but stayed at home or go off into safety (along with the children) while the men fight and if they are around, they are there to heal the wounded.
    I only realized Éowyn was disguised as a soldier calling herself Dernhelm a few pages before the reveal but I thought that was kind of amusing and admirable. But the way everyone around her seemed so surprised to see her, it just says women are expected not to be around.
    But I like that Éowyn rebelled and joined the battle even if she put herself in danger. And the way people just assumed someone is dead (namely Éowyn) just because they lie around unconscious, that's just odd. I just wonder why they don't check first to make sure a person is really dead because they burn the dead (and they were going to burn her) so I think they should have checked first.

09 - Men here so devoted to their kings and lords that they always did what they are told even if it seemed mad which I thought is a bit too much. In the case of Lord Denethor, it's a bit crazy to help him kill himself and his son, right? I would think being loyal means helping your lord or whomever to stay alive and not the opposite. But Denethor was mad so he couldn't help himself but those around him, well, I don't know. But I guess some madness would show up since wars are quite depressing.

Have you read The Lord of the Rings?

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Christine: I like sharing.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Ooh I'm glad you did another of these. Yeah, Gollum... if I was Frodo, I'd be like uh-uh dude. And I was always a little uncomfortable with the Frodo/ Sam dynamic too, at least in terms of their class differences maybe.

    I love The Return of the King. Gandalf's journeys are fascinating and there's a little more about him and the other wizards of his order in Unfinished Tales, which fleshes them out some. I love the Eowyn stuff. But ugh I hated Denethor so much lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: Frodo is slightly upperclass to Sam or so I think. I just didn't like the idea of them being master and servant, that's really what bothers me about that relationship.

      I only wish I didn't have to read a different book to get more of Gandalf's journeys, I think it would have been better to put it here, after all, he did a lot of important things that are only spoke about.

      Eowyn is great but sadly, there is not a lot of her.

      Denethor is mad, his mind is corrupted by the stone thing that I can't remember the name of. But he seems quite prideful and probably didn't want the king to return and take his place away.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Gollum is indeed pitiful. And dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: But he also kind of helped Frodo a little bit though for selfish reasons.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. 1. Is one of the things I love about LotR. Yu can really see the world, as Tolkien paints landscapes, scenes and events with his words.
    7.Gandalf's story is fascinating, and we get to know bits of it as Greg says in Unfinished Tales. I think in other of the posthumous books as well. The lore about the Istari (wizards) are nothing if not fascinating.
    9. has always hit me as strange as well. Can nobody see the leaders are mad, depressed, whatever, and in need of help, not obedience? This goes for Denehor and Theoden as well.
    X One of the things I also love is the many languages, words and writings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: 1 - it's true, the landscape descriptions are quite nice.

      7-I just wish there have been more of Gandalf here so I don't have to read another book

      9- I guess people very to their lords and kings. Loyalty means a lot to these people.

      It's great that we get to learn new languages but I'm not good at pronouncing anything and there so many names that I keep spelling wrong.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut