"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

June 28, 2022

What is your reading preference - fiction or nonfiction?

Book Blogger Hop
Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Billy at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer over here. June 24th - 30th's Question: What is your reading preference - fiction or nonfiction? (submitted by Billy @ Coffee Addicted Writer).

Answer:
I do prefer fiction but probably because I grew up reading fiction and I doubt I read a single nonfiction book unless it had been for school. I think perhaps my habits and what I'm used to has made me a bit bias toward nonfiction books. The nonfiction books I read are school-related books, tutorials, how-to's, guides and most of them are the opposite of fun and later on, I read a few depressing memoirs and biographies and some very unhelpful books on writing and drawing and perhaps they all kind of make me think nonfiction aren't enjoyable and I guess that's why fiction is more appealing compare to them. That's not to say I haven't read any great nonfiction, I have but I guess I'm too used to reading fiction that it would take a great amount of interest for me to read a nonfiction book these days.

What is your reading preference - fiction or nonfiction?

10 comments:

  1. Fiction!!! I only read non-fiction as in Travel guides, how-tos, manuals and such, to learn something.
    I have no patience for books only describing mundane life and people being bad to on another. This I can get just as well by going shopping or reading the news. Same goes for movies.
    Or it has to play far from my life in time or space, but please, the "exotic" element should be the main factor, not the relation-things (being asinine to one another etc. ...).
    Maybe I just was formed by growing up in a time where books in school was "the Outsider", "Lord of the Flies" and such like, which we children should be able to 'relate to' Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: Nonfiction is good for learning. But yes, fiction for me too. It's more fun to visit far away places or make-up places than real places.

      I've never read The Outsider or the Lord of the Flies, not now nor growing up but they do show a very tough way of life and I also don't care much for them. I guess some of them are just too realistic.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. I read both. With equal pleasure. Memoirs, letters, diaries, biographies call my name, but so does well crafted fiction. I refuse to limit my pleasure by limiting the genres (or target age groups) of what I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: I wish I can be like you and read both fiction and nonfiction but I guess I'm too used to fiction. But I do once in a while try to read a memoir or some nonfiction that isn't a tutorial or guide.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Christine: Really? I would have to balance it out with fiction.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. I definitely prefer fiction, although occasionally I'll read a nonfiction history book. I read a really good book on the French and Indian War a few years ago, and for a while I was interested in Revolutionary war stuff, but it's been quite a while since I've read any of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: I'm not a fan of history books, somehow, it always reminds me of school.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. I read more fiction that's for sure, so I guess that's my preference. but I do really love a good nonfiction book, and I've been trying to read more nonfiction this year, and have been really enjoying it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark: I like a good nonfiction but honestly, there's very little that interest me enough to read them.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut