"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

October 03, 2022

September 2022 Books

September went rather too quick. I think I did do things but at the same time, I remember not doing a lot. I'm not quite ready for sweater weather though but who can stop time or the weather?
    I read more Agatha Christie books without reading the synopsis which I think makes these mysteries more enjoyable. I think I'll be reading Christie books through the end of the year. There are so many of them.
    As you may have noticed I have changed my blog's header again. Maybe it's a bad habit to change headers because readers might not recognize your blog but I think it's always nice to see a change every now and then. It really sort of make things seems new even though I haven't changed anything else. Can one enjoy change even if just the little things? I know I do sometimes. Here are the books I read in September 2022.

The Hollow (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1946) by Agatha Christie
01 - The Hollow (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1946) by Agatha Christie
> link
I thought this was a bit boring in the beginning but then I couldn't stand any of the characters. I think we spent too much time in all the involved characters' head and there are all these stupid love triangles between distant cousins. Frankly, I can never understand why women worship selfish, lying, cheating asshats which is what the victim is. I'm not sorry I cannot understand him. And Poirot is hardly in the story and I think if you replace him with someone else, it didn't make much of a difference.

The Clocks (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1963) by Agatha Christie
02 - The Clocks (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1963) by Agatha Christie

It's like two stories - one very dull with Colin Lamb and the other the murder. I don't know why Colin Lamb should even be in this story other than his relation to Poirot. Whatever is going on with Colin and whatever he was investigating seemed dull somehow (I think he's some sort of secret agent). Poirot's appearance didn't really make too much difference. I know these stories are not about Poirot but couldn't there be more of him at least?

Appointment with Death (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1938) by Agatha Christie
03 - Appointment with Death (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1938) by Agatha Christie

I just didn't like this book. Maybe it's the characters or maybe it's the murder, they just seem rather dull to me.

Murder in the Mews  (A Hercule Poirot Short Story Collection, 1937) by Agatha Christie
04 - Murder in the Mews  (A Hercule Poirot Short Story Collection, 1937) by Agatha Christie

Perhaps I've gotten used to reading a full story in that, shorter versions weren't quite adequate but these are somewhat amusing but a bit dull and a little rushed.

The Murder at the Vicarage (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1930) by Agatha Christie
05 - The Murder at the Vicarage (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1930) by Agatha Christie
> link
Not much of an introduction to Miss Marple as she just came by and left. But the murder mystery was decent. I really love these flower covers. As Miss Marple is a gardener, this makes perfect sense.

The Moving Finger (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1942) by Agatha Christie
06 - The Moving Finger (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1942) by Agatha Christie

I didn't like the narrator, he's an asshat and really, I don't care for his point of view at all and why the police allows him into the investigation when he offers no help? He describes two women as dogs and then falls for one of them because? I have no idea. Perhaps he thinks of her as a sweet terrier or a poodle maybe?
    There's very little of Miss Marple here, if she had just make a telephone call, it might have been the same thing. But I really should understand these stories are not about Miss Marple and more about the murder mystery and so her appearances are meant to be brief but still, it's more fun when she's there. And the mystery is just okay, I think the narrator makes it hard for me to enjoy this book.

A Murder is Announced (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1950) by Agatha Christie
07 - A Murder is Announced (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1950) by Agatha Christie

Some twists and turns that fooled me into thinking the wrong culprit but that's what makes this so good.

They Do it with Mirrors (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1952) by Agatha Christie
08 - They Do it with Mirrors (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1952) by Agatha Christie

Pretty decent. I have no idea 'They Do it with Mirrors' is a theater term so I couldn't really understand how Miss Marple got her conclusion until she explained it.

A Pocket Full of Rye (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1953) by Agatha Christie
09 - A Pocket Full of Rye (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1953) by Agatha Christie

This was quite good but I wonder why everyone's murmuring, it was quite odd. But I think murmuring is one of the recurring writing habits in most of Christie's books.

4.50 from Paddington (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1957) by Agatha Christie
10 - 4.50 from Paddington (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1957) by Agatha Christie

I like the twist, well, maybe I shouldn't call it that but the writing makes readers think one thing when it's another but this was a good mystery.

The Mirror Crack’d from Side to Side (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1962) by Agatha Christie
11 - The Mirror Crack’d from Side to Side (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1962) by Agatha Christie

The story reminded me of something I read about Gene Tierney and her meeting with a fan that resulted in something bad. I won't say what it was because it would ruin the mystery here for those who didn't know but if you do know what that was, you might not be surprised by this ending. I was kind of hoping the ending was something different but it wasn't. Still, quite a good mystery and we get to see Miss Marple's rebellious side a lot.

The Lady Vanishes (aka The Wheel Spins) by Ethel Lina White
12 - The Lady Vanishes (aka The Wheel Spins) by Ethel Lina White
> link
This was one long ride of misery (it was rather a boring in the beginning) with one or two reprieve that made little difference. It's a short book, under 300 pages, but it somehow it seemed longer probably because the same thing kept happening and then we get the end. This was an okay mystery but the writing with odd phrases and out of date expressions, just made it harder to understand as a modern reader. Have anyone ever used the term "run someone to earth"? I find this phrase very amusing. It's supposed to mean finding them after searching for a long time (Cover art from alchetron).

How is your October going?

8 comments:

  1. I think "running someone (or something) to earth" is a British hunting term for cornering your prey. It's certainly not a phrase I've ever heard used a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra She Who Seeks: That is an old phrase but curiously fun in a way.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Running someone to earth is a phrase I heard in my childhood but haven't heard since.
    Still (sort of) on the Agatha Christie front I recently finished a memoir by her second husband Max Mallowan. He obviously loved her very much (though he married again less than two years after she died).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: I haven't read any bios of Christie but I did read a review of a biography recently by Lucy Worsley. Christie led an interesting life that's for sure.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Very good. Cannot believe September is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: Time just flew by, didn't it?

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of reading Christie's without reading the synopsis. Seems like that would be a way of keeping some surprises! These covers are gorgeous too. And that old Fontana one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: It really is more enjoyable reading without knowing the synopsis but sometimes you do have to warm up to the story because some characters aren't interesting enough to keep reading. Those Christie covers are great. I do like old colors like that Fontana, they really are quite alluring.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut