"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

January 07, 2024

Retro(spect) Minute #1: Stuck in a blog

This year, I will have blogged for 18 years which sounds like a lot but probably isn't as I sort of count the first 10 years as just learning and making mistakes. According to this previous post, I seemed to have had about 35 active blogs including this one you're currently reading but it's actually 33 blogs since I've blogged at The memory of rain (the blog before this) three times. My very first blog was in 2006 at Yahoo 360 so there is no text or rather, I can't find any in my archives files but it was so brief that it hardly counts as blogging.
    To sort of celebrate this milestone, I will share 18 of my favorite posts from previous blogs but no posts from this blog you're currently reading as I don't want to repeat anything. And I won't post any fiction but I might post some of my poems. I was bit foolish and deleted almost all my blogs (ie, the posts) as I wanted to start on a clear slate so I can't link any of them. And I seem to be missing a lot of post text for some odd reason. I can't find them in my archive files. A while back I had a computer crash (don't even remember the year) and lost a lot of files so that may be why I don't have those text.
    I titled these posts Retro(spect) Minute/Retro Minute as a sort of a retrospect of sorts. For this first of eighteen posts, I'll start with a post from March 9, 2014 from Sleepwalking in NY blog.

Stuck in a blog
I don't know about other bloggers but I find updating my blog to be either a joyful task or a painstaking chore that sometimes makes me wonder if I should even have a blog.
    Every week, I would agonize what to post and whether or not if people will like it. I often write a lot of personal opinion pieces and lots of short stories that either never gets finish or are just too long for posting. I do self edit a lot when I write but even then, everything just gets far too long and jam-packed with too many thoughts or ideas. Sometimes I can cut it down and sort it out to make sense and sometimes I just give up on the piece.
    I really don't like the idea of revealing myself too much even though not many people on the web knows me in person. In the back of my mind, there is always the thought of being judge and whether what I post sounds like complaints that I should keep to myself. I try to always remember to post whatever I like and try not to care about what people might think but more often, I forget this. But at least once in a while, I really do post what I want.
    Sometimes in a mad state, most likely a happy, mad state, I would post things I know would offend people but I do it anyway because I really like the piece. And then of course, I would regret it the moment it becomes too late to remove the post. And sometimes there is no regret at all. Just this satisfaction that I have posted something good and people like it. And if they don't, then they don't.

How about you? Do you think about your readers whenever you are about to hit the 'publish' button or do you just go with whatever you feel like it?

15 comments:

  1. I basically post what amuses me and hope others find it funny as well. It can be a crap shoot, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra: Yes, I know you mean. Not everyone has the same interest so it really depends on people whether they like a post or not.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. I think about what I publish to my readers and if I find it interesting. Congrats on 18 years! I started fall 2007 so almost 16 years -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: Thinking about it is probably bad at times but we bloggers do what we can. I bet you have posted more than me since you post almost every day.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I am still making mistakes and still learning. In blogging and in life.
    I do wonder when I hit publish whether I will interest/amuse people or bore them to sobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: That's the downside or perhaps the upside of blogging - you don't know what can interest people. Sometimes I don't know if I'm interested in something unless I come upon it. Readers' interest can vary.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. 18! Wow. Love that graphic for walking in NY. And I do think about how readers will react to certain posts. I think we all do. It's a fine line between wanting to share and holding back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: 18 sounds like a lot doesn't it? But I don't know. It is a fine line between wanting to share and holding back - I sometimes do not post certain things because I thought it might bore readers or maybe I thought it might be too much sharing. Hard to say.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. Your blog(s) came of age! Congrats! So many people seem to have given up on blogging at a certain point, so I think your milestone is worth celebrating. And it's a neat idea to do so by publishing a series of posts from those old blogs.

    I try not to offend people - I mean, I do post what I want, but I try not to judge/be harsh about thing that I don't like...and I focus on the things I enjoy instead. I have to say that blogging has taught me a thing or two, opened my mind to lots of stuff and made me more empathetic - unless my interlocutor is a bigoted asshole, that is. I've been revealing a bit more about myself these latest years (which it's perfectly fine if you don't - for me, blogging has become an outlet where to vent out, and I hope not to be too annoying, but then again, my readers can take the things they like, or the thing that resonate with them, and ignore the rest 😉).

    Looking forward to those poems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to have missed an "s" or two LOL.

      Delete
    2. Roberta: I like re-posting older blog posts because I don't think my readers had read my other blogs as I know I lost a lot of readers when I moved to new blogs.

      I actually like reading other people's vents - sort of sharing our mutual dislike about our lives even if we don't share the same misfortunes. Sharing is good even if we don't always understand since we all live different lives.

      You'll get to read some of my poems soon. I have decided on just a few as I don't think they are that good.

      I like that you like correcting your comments. I actually spellcheck my comments before posting them but I always seem to miss a word or two. But it's not a big deal but it's nice to be correct with your words.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. Happy 18! I have lived in this wee cabin for 18 years now. I think I began blogging a few years later. I mostly post what I want without trying to satisfy or please others, as that could be an impossible task. I do feel limited by both my blogs names because they represent something. Only posting nature photos that are uplifting: Spirit helpers. Or lovely art for :beauty flows. But mostly that is what I post anyway. Lovely new year to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammie: I hasn't realized about your blogs, I just noticed the names but I guess I didn't put it together. You can post art at Beauty Flows but I think also anything you like as I think everything has its own kind of artful beauty. Spirit Helpers - I didn't know it was two words but I do like your beautiful photography.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh. I have been trying to publish this comment for days and it just published. I don't think it is your problem, I also have trouble responding to comments on my blog. But wow was I surprised when my comment was accepted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous: I guess this is you, Tammie Lee? If it is, I'm glad you're able to post your comment. If this is not you, I'm still glad you got to post whatever comment you had wanted to post.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut