"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

February 28, 2023

Some of My Favorite Meet-Cutes From Books

top ten tuesday, books with cup of coco
This week's Top Ten Tuesday is Genre Freebie. I'm not necessarily picking romance but meet-cutes are associated with it. Meet-cute is when a guy meets a girl for the first time, typically under unusual, humorous or cute circumstances and the two end up together. I'm listing meet-cutes but also non-romance meetings that are memorable and kind of awkward, which I call meet-awkward. Here are some of my favorite meet-cutes & meet-awkwards. For more Top Ten Tuesday, visit That Artsy Reader Girl here.

01 - When Anne met Gilbert from Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
First, Gilbert winked at Anne and then later, he pulled one of her braid and whispered "Carrots! Carrots!" Then Anne said something and she slammed the slate on his head and cracked the slate. It was a fun scene.

image from the Open Library
02 - When the Ordinary Princess met Perry from The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye
Amy (the Ordinary Princess) snuck into a banquet hall to steal leftovers for her animal friends and there she met Perry (aka Peregrine) who was just hanging around. It's an ordinary meeting but I thought it was cute and also, if you know who Perry really is, it makes it a little less ordinary.

03 - When Fred met Kyra from Poison by Bridget Zinn
Fred spotted Kyra when she crossed a river with a piglet on her head and in her under things and then he helped her out. I thought this was funny when I first read it and it's funny still.

04 - When Mary met her cousin from The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
The dreamlike moment when Mary met her cousin in his room where he was throwing a tantrum. The way it was written gave it a certain quiet, moody, dreamy feeling.

05 - When Harry met Hagrid from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Hagrid met Harry as a baby and ten years later, he met Harry again. Hagrid broke down the door to a cabin where Harry's uncle had took the family, then he entered and asked for a cup of tea - definitely a memorable way to meet someone again.

06 - When Cimorene met the dragon Kazul from Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede
Cimorene entered a hovel and met some dragons and offered her services as a cook/maid to a dragon even though a few of the dragons suggested they eat her. What princess can be this daring?

07 -10 - When Westley met everyone from The Princess Bride by William Goldman
There are a lot of memorable scenes in this book but my favorite meet-cutes or meet-awkwards are these:
When Westley met Inigo Montoya and they fenced and chatted
When Westley met the giant Fezzik where they fought
When Westley met Vizzini and they drank to their deaths
When Westley met Buttercup a second time when he kidnapped her from her kidnappers

Do you have a favorite meet-cutes, whether it's romance-related or just people meeting for the first time?

37 comments:

  1. This was so fun! Very different from what I was expecting when you said meet cutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna @ A Novel Glimpse: I'm not much of romance reader and that's why this list is not all romance.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. The Secret Garden is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanne Patterson: It's one of my favorite books as well.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I love all the Anne books (Rilla is actually my favorite, due to an interest in WWI) and the Ordinary Princess is quite a favorite with me. As a matter of a fact, I have enjoyed most of what you've shared! I'll have to check out the two you've listed that I've not read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gypsi: What re the two you haven't read? Rilla is not of favorite of mine but I enjoyed reading it.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. These are all excellent picks. I should reread The Secret Garden sometime.

    Thanks for stopping by earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia: I have read The Secret Garden a few times and I really think it would have been nice to have a longer ending but it's still a great book.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. I love this! :D I read all of them except for Poison and love all of those moments, great list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheMoonPhoenix: Poison is a book that I enjoyed reading but it's a YA book which I don't always enjoy.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. The Anne one is cute. and meet- awkward. Love that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: It's quite a memorable meeting, that one.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. Meet-cutes are popular in slash fanfiction too. All the ones I love are between Captain America and the Winter Soldier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra She Who Seeks: I don't read slash fanfiction but I'm you enjoy them.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  8. A great idea for this week's TTT!
    Harry Potter-Hagrid's is definitely the most memorable meet-cutes of literature!
    Can't remember the scene from The Secret Garden, but Anne-Gilbert's is probably the cutest! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanda Classiclit: That scene in the Secret Garden is not as memorable but I always thought it quite amusing.

      This meet-cute is a last minute sort of idea. I had something else but decided on this instead.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Christine: I think so too.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  10. I don't generally have favourite meet-cutes or any other meet ups, but I do like the Hagrid/Harry and the whole Happy Potter series. In there I also like the Hermione/ Ron Weasley first meeting on the train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River: Oh yes, Hermione and Ron, though all I can remember is the movie version and not the book,

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  11. Nice idea for the topic. I even read a few of the books though fantasy isn't really my genre, so very well done there.

    Thanks for visiting my TTT this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne: I used to read a lot of fantasy but now I don't read as much.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  12. Meet-awkward 😂. You're so creative even when you don't make art LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta R.: Actually I was trying to think of a better word for awkward but couldn't find one so I struck with awkward.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  13. Anne and Gilbert is such a memorable meet-cute/meet-awkward moment.

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/favorite-historical-fiction-the-1920s-1930s/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Even people who had only seen the movie versions remembers that scene, I think.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  14. The Princess Bride is such a fabulous book and an iconic movie! Westley and Buttercup are the ultimate ship, but I think Westley interacting with Vizzini is my favourite character interaction within the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. paperbackprincess: The princess bride is a great book and even better movie. It's so much watching Vizzini interacting with Westley. All the character interactions are fun.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  15. Such a fun theme. You make me want to read them. You might have me considering 'meetings' in a new way. Hello Lissa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammie Lee: Meeting new people always have interesting effects just like reading a book for the first time.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  16. When Anne meets Gilbert is definitely one of the funniest meet-cutes; and I love everything about The Princess Bride. Fun post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark: Anne & Gilbert, such a fun couple. The princess bride always charms me either in book or movie form.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  17. I love a good meet-cute story! And I love Anne and Gilbert's meeting :)

    I also love that you included Mary and Colin from The Secret Garden and Harry and Hagrid from Harry Potter. Great list and great topic idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaime: Ah, Colin. I was trying to remember his name but couldn't. Meet-cutes are more than romance, I believe. Harry and Hagrid - such a great pair.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  18. This is SO much fun! I may have to borrow this for a future topic, too. :) I always forget the Gilbert and Anne meeting, but it definitely deserves all the shout-outs. It's a good one that turns into an iconic and memorable relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi: I always think Anne and Gilbert when I think of meet-cutes. Certainly, it's a memorable moment in their relationship.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  19. I love how witty Deal with Dragons is. It one of my favorite series as kid.

    ReplyDelete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut