"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

September 04, 2022

August With Agatha Christie

desk with books, cup, magnifying glass, bottle of poison, a dagger, frames of artwork of famous fictional detectives
A study in murder
August was a stressful month work-wise so I read to sort of make the month easier. I think I was a bit too engrossed in reading to do anything else. I don't know what got into me but I just decide to read a whole lot of Agatha Christie, mostly Hercule Poirot mysteries but I didn't read the books in order since almost every single Christie book at the library has a wait list so I read in the order that is available to me. And I saw some movie/tv adaptations.

The books I read in August 2022:


Hercule Poirot series by Agatha Christie > link
Murder on the Orient Express
01 - Murder on the Orient Express
(A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1934)
I guess I had too high an expectation but this was a decent read. What I like to know is why are Hercule Poirot's guesses so accurate? It's like he was all prepared or someone told him the answers before he got on the train but that's probably untrue because there are things readers could not possibly know.

Death on the Niles
02 - Death on the Nile
(A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1937)
I find most of the characters racist and extremely judgmental. I don't usually solve any mysteries I read but this one, I sort of guessed it half way. And the ending? Well, it just seems expected but also kind of dumb because it seems the answer is at the beginning of the book. I especially do not like what happened to the murderer/murderers and I don't think I like this kind of ending.

Deaths in the Clouds
03 - Deaths in the Clouds
(A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1935)
Who the murderer is is surprising to me. We follow these suspects, get into their heads and yet, we know nothing that might indicate they are the real murderer. I don't think readers are meant to solve it, that's my opinion but you may think differently. And there is a lot of French that Poirot speaks. I think I wasted some time trying to translate them. In every Poirot book (that I read, so far), it just seems like no one have a good opinion of Poirot even those who works with him. I suppose he's kind of unlikeable and a bit conceited but people seems to have a distaste for him somehow upon meeting him.

Five Little Pigs
04 - Five Little Pigs
(A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1942)
This is about an old case and it wasn't bad. My guess was wrong but it's what people might guess also. The mystery was okay but honestly, if you didn't like any of the characters which I don't, you probably don't care who murdered the guy. I didn't really, I just finished this to see who did it.

Murder on the Links
05 - Murder on the Links
(A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1923)
I can't stand Hasting, the narrator and Poirot's friend. I think he's an idiot, this book certainly seems to make him seem like one. I don't like Hasting calling Poirot a little man but it seem everyone thinks of him with that expression but is five-feet-four-inches little? I suppose for a man, it's little but it's not like he's three feet, come on. And the mystery? Well, I think Hasting sort of ruins the mystery somehow. I would have preferred someone else to tell the story.

Sad Cypress
06 - Sad Cypress
(A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1940)
We get into the head of Elinor Carlisle, the accused and it just seems like it's her story and the murder was kind of a side thing. Somehow, it wasn't all that enjoyable since it didn't seem like a mystery, more like a half courtroom drama, half regular life drama.

The Third Girl
07 - The Third Girl
(A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1966)
I think I enjoyed this more than the other Poirot mysteries. Not sure why that is since it's not much different from the others. And Mrs. Oliver makes me think Agatha Christie wrote her base on herself and there was a mention of a book title that is one of Christie's.

Murder in Mesopotamia
08 - Murder in Mesopotamia
(A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1936)
The way the murder was done was creative and I doubt I would have thought of it but it's a bit boring somehow.

Cards on the Table
09 - Cards on the Table
(A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1936)
I don't know how to play bridge so every mention of the game (and there is a lot of talk of it) I didn't get them but that's fine. The mystery is okay but we really just get the four suspects background and that's pretty much the story.

Mrs. McGinty's Dead
10 - Mrs. McGinty's Dead
(A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1952)
I enjoyed this. It's kind of amusing to see Poirot in discomfort with his lodging/surrounding.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
11 - The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
(A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1926)
This is a bit of a misleading tale and I sort of didn't like the ending. It was a kind of not so nice surprise. I think I would have preferred the killer to be someone else.

The Body In The Library
12 - The Body In The Library
(A Miss Marple Mystery) by Agatha Christie > link
I enjoyed this very much. I guessed the murderer and I was only half right. Not sure I have much of an impression of Miss Marple here but I don't like or dislike her. This is the only Miss Marple book I have ever read so far.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The shows and movies I watched in August 2022:


Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
13 - Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
> link
I don't think Kenneth Branagh is the right actor to play Hercule Poirot and not because he's too tall but I just find him to be a bit too cartoony looking and sometimes I can't take him seriously with that ridiculous mustache that looks far too large for his face. They even added two fighting scenes which I thought was out of character with Poirot since he is someone who prefers to use his gray cells instead of his fists. This Poirot is a man of actions which I don't think I quite like. This was an okay adaptation.

Agatha Christie's Poirot S12E03 - Murder on the Orient Express
14 - Agatha Christie's Poirot Season 12 Episode 03 - Murder on the Orient Express
> link
I think David Suchet is the perfect man to play Hercule Poirot. I prefer this version of Murder on the Orient Express better than the 2017 movie. And the ending was certainly a lot better than the book since in the book, Poirot was easy-going and even offered solutions how to explain it to the police but here in this tv version, Poirot, once he found out who did the murder, struggled with the issue of whether to give them up to the police or not.
Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
15 - Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
> link
I half enjoyed this movie because I was a bit distracted by Hercule Poirot played by Albert Finney and his odd way of stooping down or resting his head on his chest trying to make his neck disappear or something. That extreme oddness, I can't get over. I haven't seen much of the actor's work to know if that's normal for the guy but it's just odd and distracting.

Agatha Christie's Marple S01E01 - The Body in the Library
16 - Agatha Christie's Marple  Season 01 Episode 01 - The Body in the Library
> link
I don't know but I think now it's a bad idea to read the book, then watch the adaptation because you sort of have an unconscious expectation of what's going to happen. But here this version, they changed things and even changed who the murderer was which I thought was rather odd and unfitting considering the time period this should take place but I suppose they had to change it somehow for the more modern audience? I don't know. But I do find that Geraldine McEwan plays Miss Marple just right.

How was your August? Is September treating you well?

17 comments:

  1. I prefer Miss Marple to Hercule Poirot - and prefer Agatha Christies memoirs/autobiographies to her novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: I'm thinking now if I have read more Miss Marple, I might feel the same. I haven't read any of Christies memoirs or autobiographies but she sounded like someone knew a lot.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. A number of years ago I went on an Agatha Christie binge and read all her Poirot books/stories then. I've seen most of the modern film adaptations too. I agree that David Suchet is the PERFECT Poirot, much much better than Finney, Ustinov, and Branagh. This weekend I watched the latest Branagh movie, "Death on the Nile." Stylish in many ways. And also, we learn the (apocryphal) reason for Poirot's ridiculously large moustache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra She Who Seeks: I haven't see that version of "Death on the Nile" but I don't think I'll like it much. With these modern movies, they do add things that weren't in the book. I have not read anything detail about Poirot's mustache but I don't need a reason but it's definitely odd looking in Branagh's version.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy reading Agatha Christie's books. I just finished one of her Poirot mysteries last week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark: I do think Christie's books are quite enjoyable but perhaps I shouldn't read them all one after another.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoy Agatha Christie's books, I've only read one book and one of her short stories but I hope to read others. :)
    Interestingly enough, I actually saw that exact version of The Body in the Library a while back. I remember it was a weird episode-- that it was strange that they changed who the killer was. I should really go and read the actual short story just to compare them, because I know how the TV show did it, but I want to read the actual story to see how Christie did it and who the true killer is. ;)
    And I also saw that Poirot TV show too you that you watched, I saw part of an episode I think of "Death on the Nile" and I've watched a lot of the others. It's a really fun show.
    Anyway, I enjoyed reading your post and your comparisons of the books the adaptations. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinley: Movie and tv adaptation do change endings sometimes and sometimes, it's for the best and other times, not so much. I really prefer the original book ending for 'The body in the library.' I should probably have said one of the killer is changed as there are two.

      The Poirot tv show is great, I plan on watching all the episodes if I can.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. Lots of Agatha Christie as you say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done with finding the spider's legs Lissa!

      Delete
    2. Christine: Lots of Christie, certainly, there are so many books and shows and movies.

      The spider image - took a little long to figure that one out.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. I don't know what it is about Poirot but I don't always like him either, in the admittedly few times I've read or watched a Christie adaptation. I watched the 70's version of death on the Nile recently and didn't care for his personality. I did kind of like the 2017 Orient express movie, although I'm not super crazy about Branagh in the role? Or maybe it's that ridiculous moustache. I do kind of want to try Suchet's portrayal however.

    I love those covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: I think some tv and movie adaptation can ruin a person's judgement of a book character. I really think Suchet is the perfect Poirot and also, his mustache is not ridiculous at all. But honestly, Poirot's is not someone to be liked, certainly, Christie wrote him not to be likable or so I think after reading so many books. Characters in the Poirot books didn't like Poirot and have terrible views of him. I don't think you have to like him to enjoy the mystery.

      These covers are great. There are lots of different versions of Christie's book but I find the ones marked with little 'a' red sticker supposedly approved by the Christie people are the best covers.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. Wow, you are such a good reader! Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammie Lee: The Christie books are quite short, most under 300 pages and it's why I can read a lot of them.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  8. I love your Study in Murder!

    I've read ALL Christie's books - in Italian (some were in the house when I was a kid because my mother read them, the others I bought later) - and my favourite of the ones you've read so far is probably Roger Ackroyd, because it's insanely creative. Poirot is meant to be irritating to an extent...though I have to say that I've always liked him. But I like Miss Marple too.

    Suchet is the only actor who looks the part, and the adaptations he starred in are the only ones that don't stray from the original (sometimes they even quote the book dialogues!).

    "I was a bit distracted by Hercule Poirot played by Albert Finney and his odd way of stooping down or resting his head on his chest trying to make his neck disappear or something."
    For real? I think I only saw him play Poirot once, but I didn't notice it. Maybe because he was doing things that the original character would never have done (like wearing a striped swimsuit and, well, actually swimming), and I was too outraged to notice anything else LOL. As for Branagh, I'm trying to pretend he never played the role at all 😂.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta: You're right, Poirot is meant to be not so likable but I like him. I haven't read enough Miss Marple to judge but I think I'm beginning to like her.

      So far I have seen more episodes with Suchet in it and he really looked and played the part just right.

      I think Albert Finney didn't quite move in a comfortable way so maybe that's why he seemed so weird to me. I don't think I described it very well the way he moved. I guess you'll have to see the movie to judge. As for Branagh's Poirot, his character is quite a different version of Poirot, I think, less like the boo, and more like today's modern action stars. But it's a preference.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut