"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

July 15, 2024

Seven Things

strawberry lemon drink -drawing
01 - I finally posted a hello/about page. You can read it here or click on the hello link below the header. I do have an about/introduction post which is the first post of this blog which you can read over here. I like having an about page because it gives readers a sort of a little intro to me, the blogger, since not every reader will read the first post.

02 - I've been slacking in commenting on blogs but then again, I've been slacking on a lot of things but it's summer. I feel the hot weather is an excuse not to do anything productive. But that's probably my lazy self talking. Also, I go to war every other week with a fly or two. That's what you get for keeping windows open.
    
03 - You would think after 18+ years of writing (I had started writing the same time I started blogging), I would have more confidence in my work but I don't. I had a chance to post several short story fiction that I had finished but then I didn't. (I try to post my fiction pieces in between other posts so it won't be one fiction post after another.) And my stories are becoming a bit longer than usual. The more I edit a piece, the longer it becomes because I would think of things to add which is why my fiction posts are the least read but I'm okay with that. If one or two people read it, it's enough.
    I know my writing have barely improved in the last few years but at least I know I don't suck as much as some of the books that are published but I don't have the confidence as those authors. Those authors are willing to put their work out there even if the reviews trashed them and saying how badly they needed an editor. Where do these people get their confidence?
    Posting my fictions on my blog is really the only chance I'll ever have anything published. My problem is in finishing. I lack motivation. I lack discipline. And tons of other things but I'll keep trying to finish my writings because maybe one day, I'll have a whole book completed.

04 - Some people believe there's no such thing as a bad book and that it depends on whether the book resonate with the reader or not. I want to be neutral on this but heck, I'm not neutral. There are bad books and there are a ton of evidence on this: the books themselves. People can love what they want and that's okay. It's all opinions. Just don't try to change my opinion on those bad books.

05 - Romantasy anyone? It's the latest word combination that I had heard lately and I think it's the dumbest one yet. I already saw this word in several youtube video titles and I hated it. But of course this word and many new ones to come will eventually get into people's head and will be used so much that, it will be a common word. But I still hate it.

06 - One store (or perhaps there are more I don't know of) locked their products behind glass doors so if you want to buy a product that is locked which is like 85% of the whole place, then you have to ask for help or press one of those buttons and wait for someone to come and unlock so you can get the product. This says the store doesn't trust customers. This says theft is so rampant that the store is forced to do this. But even if this deters thieves which probably does, it also deters customers. How do you feel about asking someone to unlock a door so you can get a box of bunion cream? That's an example but I now just ask to unlock for one product and then pay and leave because I find this very annoying. It's extra work for the employees and the customers cannot get to the products to read the labels so you can't even do comparison shopping. You have to know exactly which product you want or you might feel like an ninny for wasting the employee's time. It's uncomfortable shopping, is what this is.

07 - I'll not be buying ebooks anymore. I got a kobo clara bw ereader to help me with that. I'll pretty much be borrowing ebooks from my local library through overdrive. I didn't even put any credit card info on my kobo account (although I did get email telling me I should add this info) so this will (mostly) deter me from buying ebooks needlessly. But old habits are hard to leave behind so this could turn into an expensive mistake but I'm willing to make it if only to get out of the kindle eco-system. If I can't get a book through overdrive which does happen because if the kobo store doesn't have a listing of a book you borrow, it won't show up on your kobo so you either learn to use epub books or read pdf books or read it through a kindle ereader which I do because I really hate trying to set up epub books or read pdf books. If I love a book (which has been rare these couple of years) and I want a copy, I'll buy the paper version.

What's on your mind these days?

9 comments:

  1. It's very nice to have an intro on a blog (I'll add one when I can). It's ok not to comment and do it when you can You've been writing for many years (your blog is different) writers are always insecure...but trust your instincts and write.. Some famous writer (in my country Greece ) had told me that one of the elements of success is the discipline of writing but also the courage to erase (he would wake up every morning at 5:00 and write then read them to his secretary and start erasing).. but he had the motivation of people and money big talk. Have a great week Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Postscript: I really liked your post!
    Extremely interesting as always!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katerina: Thank you for your kind words. I think I just need to practice more discipline and also trusting myself to do what is necessary.

      Thank you for coming by my blog. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I liked your hello post - and knew most of it already.
    And enjoy your blog - and your lists.
    And yes there are bad books. Some of them very bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: I suppose there's nothing new to readers who been reading my blogs but I like to share those info anyway. Making lists is just a great way to write any posts. Books are subjective, well, most of them.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Christine: Thank you. Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. I'm a slacker in the summer, too. I blame the heat. Who wants to do anything when it's so hot outside? And there are absolutely bad books out there. I've DNFed a lot of them. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark: Summer is for slacking but perhaps it's because when we were kids and school is out, it's all about slacking off.

      I've also DNFed a ton of bad books, most of them, not completely bad but we can all quit any book we want.

      Thank you for coming by my blog. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut