"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

December 01, 2022

Thursday Thirteen: Meandering Thoughts

woman holding two cups of tea
The Tea Witch, 2022
I find a new meme that seems pretty easy. It's called Thursday Thirteen and all you do is just list 13 things on your choice of topics on Thursdays. Here are some meandering thoughts that I tried to be as brief as possible just to add a challenge. (The art above, The Tea Witch, was going to be used in a new about page but I haven't gotten around to it so I'm using it here.)  Visit other people's list at Thursday Thirteen here.

01 - I'm a comment slacker but I didn't mean to be. I try all the time to leave comments but I just seem unable to think of anything to say.

02 - Now and then google likes to test my patience by marking my comments on my blog as spam even though I'm signed in and it's my damm blog.

03 - This not being signed into Blogger blogs when you are signed into google's Blogger is annoying. I have to sign in every time I want to leave a comment on a blog.

04 - I saw a commercial for a phone that has the ability to erase with the swipe of our fingers whatever you don't want from the photo you take. This makes me wonder maybe soon there will not be an original photo posted on the web, at least, not one that wasn't altered in some way. Is this progress?

05 - Now that there's such things as Canva (a free-to-use online graphic design tool), I find being a graphic designer kind of not that great. They made it sound so easy to design everything with "no design experience required." If everyone just go get themselves a Canva account or something similar, then would people still need graphic designers? Of course those templates they offered were probably designed by graphic designers. (Canva link)

06 - "Grow a pair of ovaries" - is this good pep talk to a grown woman? It was in a certain book I've read this year. Does any female say this to themselves?

07 - These days, I have low expectations for books but still, it would be nice if writers stop writing about characters who does dumb things that makes readers think they are too stupid to live.

08 - Apparently, I've been lying to readers for years for saying I read science fiction books but it seemed I've only read maybe one or two science fiction a year. I do like a good science fiction now and then but somehow I never find any to read.

09 - One shouldn't wish for time to go faster because it solves nothing and yet, when one is so stressed out of their mind, a quicker passing of time might be a welcome thing.

10 - Do you know what makes work more stressful when you're on a deadline? When a giant fly keeps bugging you every time you try to do something.

11 - Blogs have long memory, that is, if you don't delete them.

12 - Don't you hate it when you look up a word in the dictionary, it defines it with the short version of that word?

13 - It just seem kind of suddenly very cold one day and that's when it really hit me that it's winter. I don't recall the transition this brutal last year or perhaps I have forgotten it?

Have you anything you want to share today?

23 comments:

  1. Love your list. And have been intensely irritated by having my own comments classified as spam on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: What's annoying that it mark a comment as spam after even though it had already been published which is just weird. I hope these things gets fix.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Blogger annoyingly marking comments as spam, that has happened to me too. (Along with blogger randomly deleting my comments).
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinley: Blogger randomly delete your comments? That's strange. Perhaps it's the user? If a reader has signed into Blogger to comment on your blog, they can delete their own comments.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    2. I don't think it could be the user, because they were comments I left myself (not that someone else left).
      But thankfully, I figured it out, blogger marked my own comment as spam, even though I am the owner of the blog. ๐Ÿคจ
      You're welcome, you too.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I can't think of a good comment to make either. And my comments have been marked as spam on my own blog, too! It's very frustrating. I wish I knew how to fix it, but I don't. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark: Sometimes, there's really not much to say and I really prefer not to leave two word comments. I hope the spam thing gets fix soon, it's a bit maddening.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. I think it's completely, 100% OK to visit a blog and not leave a comment. Sometimes I think bloggers leave comments the way dogs pee on trees, just to leave their mark. If you don't have anything positive to say, why not just scroll along?

    For what it's worth, I have an easier time with Blogger when I use Google Chrome. Maybe that will help ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gal Herself: I do think it's okay to visit blogs and not leave comments but sometimes I really like to do it.

      I have tried using Chrome but I just prefer Firefox better but if Firefox is goes bonkers now and then, I would use Chrome or Safari.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. excited to welcome December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: It's December as I write this but it's welcome in a way.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. I love science fiction movies. I read a lot of it when I was younger and heard Kurt V lecture once. My blog is 17 years old. I don't know what I'd do without it. It's a writer's journal and filing cabinet at my fingertips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen: I also love science fiction movies but I would like to read more science fiction as well.

      17 years a lot of blogging. I wish I had kept my blogs or archive them into a blog but sadly, all the posts I had written are gone.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. "02 - Now and then google likes to test my patience by marking my comments on my blog as spam even though I'm signed in and it's my damm blog."
    Uh. That never happened to me, but it's REALLY weird.

    I agree about the erasing phone...and I understand your frustration at tools that don't require any ability to create art. Though I'm sure there will always be a way to tell it from real art...or so I hope.

    "06 - "Grow a pair of ovaries" - is this good pep talk to a grown woman? It was in a certain book I've read this year. Does any female say this to themselves?"
    What does it even mean? ๐Ÿ˜‚ I understand wanting to reverse stereotypes or make language inclusive, but the male version was dumb enough without making a version of it tailored for women.

    The season transition has been abrupt in Italy as well. We've had unusual warm weather until Sunday, then the cold hit. It didn't use to be like this for sure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta R.: 02 - You're lucky. It just keep doing it after it started on my blog, no clue why that is.

      Canva is not for creating art, it's for designing things like business cards, flyers and such although I'm sure if you want to, you might create art with it, who knows.

      06 - No clue what it means because it's redundant since she already have them. I suppose like you said, it's the male version, although it's really stupid.

      I guess it's not so usual not to adjust to drop in temperature but it's really hard these days.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  8. I hope there’ll always be work for professional graphic designers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Su-sieee! Mac: I hope so too. They do have schools for it after all.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  9. 2 & 3 Now I'm probably jinxing it, but it's more than a week since I last had to free any comments from spam limbo.

    10 I have those flies as well - soo frustrating!

    13. yes me too. I forgot my mittens yesterday, and nearly froze off my fingers ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: 2&3 - Yesterday I freed one of my comments that was supposed to have been published a week ago. Who knows why this happens.

      10 - The flies here usually comes by in the warm weather so I don't know what that little bugger was thinking.

      13 - I guess weather change is just harder as you get older, maybe. I don't know. I just can't get use to the cold easily.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  10. Oh, yes, #3! However, I only have that problem on one blog I read and comment on nearly daily! I'm already signed in here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa: #3 - I guess it's one of those odd errors we can't understand.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  11. I sometimes do that too. I'll read a post and want to comment but just not sure what to say. All the generic comments just don't feel authentic. :)

    Blogger is killing me lately with all the legitimate comments being labeled spam. Sometimes I don't see 'em for days til I check my panel. And the thing is I'm always logged in on my main PC so I don't always realize how annoying Blogger is. then if I check my site on my laptop or phone I realize people have to log in to comment and that must be so irritating.

    Grow a pair has always seemed vulgar to me... maybe that's not the right word, but IDK don't like it *shrugging*

    The sisters series by Lina Rather is good science fiction if you're interested (think nuns in space aboard a living ship).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: Words are hard sometimes, I think.

      I guess we're so used to being logged in that we don't always see what the issue is.

      Grow a pair of anything is, well, I don't think that kind of pep talk works anyway.

      Nuns in space? Something to think about. I haven't heard of that series but I'll check it out.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut