"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

December 22, 2022

Thursday Thirteen: Some favorite quotes

Thursday Thirteen
Here are some of my favorite amusing, serious, dumb, smart, honest and intriguing quotes/passages from books I read, shows and movies I watched and anywhere else I read from. Visit other people's list at Thursday Thirteen here.

01 - "Truth, however bitter, can be accepted, and woven into a design for living."
-  The Hollow by Agatha Christie

02 - "Which comes first yesterday or tomorrow? All we know is that what we think of as past, present and future is nothing more than a story stitched together in our basal ganglia. Our entire concept of time is an artificial construct."
- from the tv show Perception

03 - “I personally believe we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain.”
- The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe by Jane Wagner
 
04 - Two Girls: "How do you call yourself?"
Poirot: "Hercule Poirot."
Two Girls: "That's not a name, that's a noise."

- from the tv show Agatha Christie's Poirot

05 - "I don't obsess. I think, intensely."
- from the tv show Charmed, original version

06 - "I win not because I am a woman, because I am the boss."
- from the tv show The Six Million Dollar Man

07 - "For future reference: When I say I agree with you, it means I'm not listening."
- from the tv show Elementary

08 - “I wasn’t meant for reality, but life came and found me.”
- The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa

09 - "When did we became adults? Even though we age, we still get flustered. We are still immature, we don't know much and we make a lot of mistakes. There are no adults in the world. Just children with wrinkles."
- from the Korean tv series, I do, I do

10 - “We had our breakfasts — whatever happens in a house, robbery or murder, it doesn't matter, you must have your breakfast.”
- The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

11 - "I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really well."

- from the tv show Parks and Recreation

12 - "When you're young you got time
When you're old, you've built a life
In between you're just along for the ride
Nothing's in a straight line
Like the wrinkles on your eyes
Try to take it one candle at a time
When we turn 96
With a smile on our lips
I'll have nothing left to wish"

- lyrics from Pictures by Matt Nathanson from the album Boston Accent

13 - "Everything ends, and it's always sad. But everything begins again too, and that's... always happy. Be happy."
- from the tv show Doctor Who

21 comments:

  1. "For future reference: When I say I agree with you, it means I'm not listening." -- Oh, that insufferable Sherlock, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra She Who Seeks: Yep, that's Sherlock for you.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. A fine collection. This wrinkly child thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: I really think that quote's true, for some of us, anyway, certainly, I think I'm also a wrinkly child.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I really had to think about the first couple. #3 brought comic relief! #5 I'm not nosey but I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. colleen: #3 is so true. #5 - well, some of us are a little bit obsessive about things, right?

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. These are all so great! #3 made me laugh, but I especially love #13. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark: That Dr. Who quote is so right, I've always liked that even though I didn't actually see that episode.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. What an interesting batch of quotations and from such varied sources! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CountryDew: Now that I check again, I seem not to have any movie quote on the list but that's okay.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Christine: I think so too.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. I love how eclectic your sources are! Your snowglobe graphic is pretty cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gal Herself: I really do like my snowglobe graphic - I enjoy working on it. I'm glad someone liked it.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  8. #4 hahahahha. That Kenneth Branaugh movie got me to appreciate Hercule Poirot. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Su-sieee! Mac: I saw Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express but I didn't think it was all that great but I'm glad it got you to appreciate Poirot. Merry belated Christmas to you too.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  9. “I personally believe we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain.”
    😂

    "I don't obsess. I think, intensely."
    That applies to me LOL. I was a fan of the original Charmed by the way...

    “I wasn’t meant for reality, but life came and found me.”
    That applies to me as well...😭

    "There are no adults in the world. Just children with wrinkles."
    So true...

    "Everything ends, and it's always sad. But everything begins again too, and that's... always happy. Be happy."
    I remember this one from DW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and Merry Christmas!

      Delete
    2. Roberta R.: I think we all want to complain but some of us don't and some of us do.

      I'm a fan of the original Charmed as well. I don't like the idea of the remake of a woman having different race children by different race men, that's just silly. I did see a scene or two and it wasn't funny or engaging but maybe I'm biased but certainly, the characters seemed very wooden for some reason.

      Life will find you though none of us are any good at hiding, are we?

      Yep, we're all children with wrinkles, not that some of us wants to admit we're old...

      I really like all the Dr Who quotes even if I only saw a few episodes.

      Merry belated Christmas to you.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  10. I love #4! :) And ooh The Six Million Dollar Man. There are times when I feel a ned to go back and watch some of those (and the Bionic woman). I love the quote about time too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: I find #4 very amusing. I saw the entire series of Six Million Dollar Man and even written a review but never posted. Actually, I prefer the Bionic Woman more because she's funnier than Steve Austin.

      That time quote, do you mean #12? That sounds better if you listen to the song.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut