"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

November 01, 2022

October 2022 Books

October was stressful, work-wise, but other than that, nothing much happened aside from completing a few artwork pieces and reading more Agatha Christie books and a few none-Christie ones. Here are the books I read in October 2022.

Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories
01 - Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories > link
These stories were quick but satisfying.

A Caribbean Mystery (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1964) by Agatha Christie
02 - A Caribbean Mystery (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1964) by Agatha Christie

This was okay.

At Bertram’s Hotel (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1965) by Agatha Christie
03 - At Bertram’s Hotel (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1965) by Agatha Christie

This was okay, a little boring in the beginning.

Nemesis (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1971) by Agatha Christie
04 - Nemesis (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1971) by Agatha Christie

I think this one is the best Miss Marple mystery of all of them but maybe because there is a lot of Miss Marple here. This is the last book of the series and I think it ended quite well.

Sleeping Murder (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1976) by Agatha Christie
05 - Sleeping Murder (A Miss Marple Mystery, 1976) by Agatha Christie

I think I should have read this before Nemesis since it seems to take place before that story as Miss Marple here can still work on gardens while in Nemesis, she was unable to do so due to her rheumatism. This was really good. I actually guessed right who the murderer was but this was really the only time.

The A.B.C. Murders (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1936) by Agatha Christie
06 - The A.B.C. Murders (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1936) by Agatha Christie > link
I think this is one of the best mystery I had read so far of all the Hercule Poirot books. The mystery is a little different from the other books and Poirot is more involved in the case.

Lord Edgware Dies (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1933) by Agatha Christie
07 - Lord Edgware Dies (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1933) by Agatha Christie

Not sure I like this one but at least the way the murder is done is interesting though the cover is quite misleading as no one dies by a gun.

The Mystery of the Blue Train (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1928) by Agatha Christie
08 - The Mystery of the Blue Train (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1928) by Agatha Christie

The one I thought was the murderer wasn't and the one I thought was a good guy, wasn't. Lots of people pretending to be what they are not but a really a good mystery.

09 - After the Funeral (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1953) by Agatha Christie

This was good. The murderer was unexpected.

10 - One, Two, Buckle My Shoe (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1940) by Agatha Christie

I honestly don't like reading about dentist and people going to the dentist or talking about teeth - those things make me cringe but that's how they start this book. But at least, not too much details about dentistry. The mystery was a bit confusing but I guess all mysteries are confusing at first until the solution came out. I didn't like this but not because of the dentist talk but the mystery wasn't all the interesting even with the twists and sidetracks but it's a better book than most mysteries I had read.

Three Act Tragedy (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1934) by Agatha Christie
11 - Three Act Tragedy (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1934) by Agatha Christie

I didn't really like this one. And the reason for the murder seemed a little dumb.

Taken at the Flood (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1948) by Agatha Christie
12 - Taken at the Flood (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1948) by Agatha Christie

There were a few twist but it was good.

Hallowe'en Party (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1969) by Agatha Christie
13 - Hallowe'en Party (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1969) by Agatha Christie

There really aren't that much talk of Halloween or anything related to it aside from the party at the beginning. This was good. I did guess the culprit near the end. 

Evil Under the Sun (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1941) by Agatha Christie
14 - Evil Under the Sun (A Hercule Poirot Mystery, 1941) by Agatha Christie

This was okay.

The man who didn't fly by Margot Bennett
15 - The man who didn't fly by Margot Bennett
> link
This was kind of boring. I like the idea of story but that's about it. Lots of metaphors, endless ones, actually, even the characters talk with metaphors. At least, I think they are  since at every instance, something is compared to something and sometimes twice. And the ending seems a bit vague but you somehow got the answers but perhaps since none of the characters seems like real people, I didn't care who or what happened. And the short story, 'No Bath for the Browns,' was, well, short and kind of meaningless because it seems like a start of a story and that's it.

How to get away with Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle Mystery Book 2) by Elizabeth C. Bunce
16 - How to get away with Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle Mystery Book 2) by Elizabeth C. Bunce
> link
I do find the footnotes a bit distracting since they don't alway give facts as as most of them are commentaries. And the little notes at the beginning of each chapter seems a bit unnecessary. But this was a good read.

Aggie Morton, Mystery Queen: The Dead Man in the Garden (book 3) by Marthe Jocelyn with illustrations by Isabelle Follath
17 - Aggie Morton, Mystery Queen: The Dead Man in the Garden (book 3) by Marthe Jocelyn with illustrations by Isabelle Follath
> link
I read the first book a while back because it's has Agatha Christie as a child and her creation, Hercule Poirot as main characters although they are named Aggie Morton and Hector Perot. There were some recognizable Christie terms/expressions/book titles/character quirks but I only know this because I've been reading Christie books and it was kind of fun to recognize them. The mystery was good and I enjoyed reading this.

How was your October? Any plans for November?

13 comments:

  1. Wow, you really ARE on an Agatha Christie kick, aren't you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra She Who Seeks: I do plan on reading most of Christie's books since I enjoy almost all of the ones I had read so far. It really do depends on availability at the library.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Christine: Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Well done. It is years since I have read any of Agatha Christie's fiction. Perhaps I need to revisit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: I do find Christie's books quite interesting. I usually do not re-read murder mysteries but I might re-read her books.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. You are reading a lot of Christie! I think Blue Train sounds interesting. I've been curious about A Caribbean Mytsery before too, although it might have been the cover.

    I do like some of those British Crime Classics but the ones I've read have been hit or miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: The covers are great. I do like to read more British crime classics but you're right, they are either great or not, just like any books, although somehow I seem to have high expectations for them for no reason.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    2. It's funny because I haven't read a lot of christie, but I'm often captivated by some of the awesome covers on some of those editions.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for all your thoughts. My mom loves mysteries. I might have to get a couple for her. Lovely day to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammie Lee: I guess your mom and I have the same taste in books.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. So many Christie mysteries this month! That's awesome. I really liked The A.B.C. Murders, too. And I can't wait to read Nemesis. Love your post. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark: I can read a Christie book in a day, they are very short. The A.B.C. Murder is great. Nemesis is great too.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut