"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

October 17, 2021

Some Thoughts and Two Links of Interest

sunset among shadows
Sunset & Stars (the sunset, buildings and tv antennas are real, the stars are fake)
01 | Amber at The Literary Phoenix had a page (three actually) for problematic authors which is a good idea but I really didn't care what these people did and also, I really rather not read about how horrible they are. What I would really like is a list of problematic books instead but as we know, books can be subjective so what offends one person might not offend another so I don't hope for such a list. But reading about these problematic authors makes me even more adamant about not finding out any info about an author aside from the brief bio at the end of the book - that's all I care to know about an author - just a brief note. Read about problematic authors at Amber's blog over here.

02 | I read mostly ebooks borrowed from the library which I'm very grateful but whenever I want to read a book, it's unavailable and then I get on the wait list and just when I don't want to read the book at the moment, it's available. What's up with that?
    Also, I wish we could borrow books for 41 days instead of 21. I always seems to use the full 21 days. It's rather strange to return a digital book because if you don't return it, it just became unreadable/expired/returned and you don't even have to do anything. But I do recommend returning a book early if you can because there are people waiting for the book even if it doesn't seem like it.

03 | Bonnie at Bonnie's Books recently told about her adventure in getting away with a lie - she wrote a book report for a non-existent book and got an A. This made me wonder how hard it must be to be a teacher to not have the time to check if the book is real. Of course, I'm not saying it's okay to do this but damm, I wish I had done something interesting like that to tell people.
    Also, it made me realized book reviewers are basically writing book reports. I don't know about other people but when I was in school we used to write book reports. Well, I can only remember writing one report but I'm sure there were others that I can't recall. It must be why sometimes it's hard for reviewers to write a review because you're basically doing homework and you are kind of graded by the readers who read your review by either wanting to read the book or not. Read Bonnie's story here.

How is your October going?

13 comments:

  1. I love Bonnie's story of the review of a non-exsisting book.
    As for 1. I too am totally not caring about the writer, so problematic authors simply do not exist in my mind. Problematc books, now that's another kettle of - very personal - fish.
    At my place you can renew library books (at least physical ones, no idea with e-books) via the 'net. I love this feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: There are lots of problematic books, more so than usual, I think.

      For most ebooks, at least the one I want to read, there is a wait list. If I get an ebook and unable to finish in the 21 days, I can only renew if it's available, that is, if there is no one waiting for the hold. It's not the same as physical book because you have the book so it can't be moved without your permission. An ebook which is basically a digital can be moved without you even knowing.

      Not sure I explained it right but let's just say there is a system in place so people waiting in line will get their turn at the book. It's pretty fair, I think, unless you're a slow reader like me.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Reviewing the non existent book sounds like a brilliant idea - and would have taken some work. I wonder whether the teacher realised, and recognised that work.
    Problematic books are much more important (and personal) to me than the authors.
    I long for our libraries to open again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: I hope your libraries will open soon. It's pretty sad how many places you can no longer visit.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I'm kind of ambivalent on authors. On the one hand I do enjoy learning more about authors (within reason) if it's a book I really enjoy, but at the same time I don't need to know TOO much lol and if they have objectionable views or whatever- sometimes I'd rather not know. It's tough because there are so many views in the blogosphere. And lol at that last one- seriously???? There's a part of me that wishes I could try something like that too. :)

    And that's a really interesting point about reviews. I used to HATE writing book reports. Why do I do it voluntarily now?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: In this age of social media, anyone can find out anything about anyone as long they post it on the web. It's really is sad how I can longer respect some authors.

      I envy Bonnie in doing that. The most I did at school was skip a class or two.

      I didn't like homework because it's something you have to do and not something you want to do. I don't have to write book reviews at all but I like to.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    2. That's a great distinction. I suppose I do like writing book reviews and that's the difference- no one is MAKING me do it lol.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Christine: Thanks. I had this edited image for a while and I meant to use it for a post so now it's here.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. I think that being able to borrow e-books is a very good idea, but I wouldn't know how to do that. Do you have an online link that I could follow? That would be really helpful. so far, I buy all my Kindle e-books through amazon. I don't write book reviews, but on my kindle I put a number of stars to show if I have enjoyed the book or not!

    I like the delicate shades in the night sky image!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra: I'm not sure how it works outside of the US so check online to see if your local library offers ebooks/kindle books and then, if they do, they usually have some type of instructions.

      Most ebooks are distributed by OverDrive, at least, the ones I read. Here's a link:
      https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/categories/getting-started.htm

      I like that image because of the pink sky.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. I think that being aware of potentially harmful books is vital, especially for the so-called minorities that those books harm, but not only - I, for one, do my best to be an ally. And problematic authors need to be singled out so that we don't give them the support (and therefore, power) they don't deserve. Of course being aware of their mishaps leaves a bad taste in our mouth, but I'd rather know who they are. Not to mention, some of them cause such a hassle on social media nowadays, it's not a "book" thing anymore - they're using their position to hurt other people, and that's unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta: It's good to know if authors or people in general are doing harm which you can sort of find out through the news. I guess I prefer not to know.

      I don't know but I have noticed more and more authors are doing stupid things on social media. I don't know why there aren't people telling not them not to do it.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut