"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

September 16, 2021

Daughter Earth

woman holding globe inside train with sunlight on her
Daughter Earth

I was going to share a bunch of thoughts with this new art I've finished but decided I prefer to just show this piece alone. I've worked on this for almost a month because I can't get the sunlight to my liking but I think it turned out well.

closeups
closeups

I call this piece Daughter Earth, like perhap she's a child of earth or something like that. I don't know. Perhaps she's an ordinary human or an angel. Not sure if you can make the wings since they are like her shadows. I've looked at this piece a long time so I can see them very well but those seeing this for the first might not.
    This is hand drawn and digitally colored in Adobe Photoshop. The background is a train and its design is based on new and old NYC subway train interiors. I was going to add more things like poles and advertistments but I like how spare this looks. Click on the images for a larger view.

12 comments:

  1. I like the spareness too, it's like getting a look into her own private world. I also like the idea of her being slightly mysterious, like almost a nature or earth spirit perhaps? Maybe there's a reason it looks like she's carrying the world...

    I'm glad you pointed out her wings too or I would have missed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: Now that I think about it, perhaps I should not have mentioned the wings so that people can find it.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. There is something very otherworldly about her. I'm glad you mentioned the wings - I wouldn't have noticed them otherwise since they're so subtle, but I love that detail. I like to think I would have noticed them eventually. That's what I love about art - the more you look at it, the more you see. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: I agreed. Sometimes you see things in an art piece when you look at it again. I like to think my art is like that.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Christine: Thank you.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. I hope blogger deigns to post my comment this time.
    I love this and, perhaps because of my obsession with birds, I did see the wings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: Perhaps I'm obessed with birds too because I like to add wings to my art when they don't need it.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. That's beautiful, I love all the details especially the suitcase and signs in the background.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinley: There arenot much details, really, since it's so spare.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely da

      Delete
  6. I have to say I didn't notice the wings myself. But I love the light! It's a very evocative piece. The way I see it, the woman is an otherworldly being (but not a real angel - something more complex, or maybe an alien?) who tries to protect the Earth, or cares for it at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta: The light took a while to figure out. Even though the colors/light are digitally done, it still takes a while to figure out.

      No, I don't think she's an angel either. She was in my first version but then I decided, like you had thought, she's an otherworldly being.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut