"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

March 13, 2022

Fiction: The Hunt on Wind Breaker Island 4

short fiction

This month's Words for Wednesday prompts are provided by River over here. This week's words/prompts are: stupefied, collector, arrange, reflections, fashion, slate and/or: hesitate, adjusted, hat, segment, coffeemaker, dessert. I used the first set of words only. I wasn't quite inspired by the last few prompts so I'm glad to have written something this time even if I'm very late in posting. (Update: I seem to have lost the words reflections, fashion when I edited this and only realized now.)
 
Read Part 1 here, Part 2 here, Part 3 here

Fiction: The Hunt on Wind Breaker Island 4


The butler rolled in on its large singular wheel. Its square body was just thin enough to wade through the trees. Fab was just a few steps behind the machine.
    The butler stopped with a soft break in front of Jaz. "You! Fix that man inside the tent as quick as you can." Jaz snapped his fingers.
    The butler rolled toward Boots' tent. Sedge moved aside. The machine contoured its body to fit and bend in the tent. In less than three minutes, it had quickly stitched and bandaged Boots' wound. When it came out of Boots' tent, it straightened up again. Sedge was stupefied by the lack of blood on the butler's two-pronged hands. Usually the doctor or whomever that came out from attending to the wounded, had blood all over his gloved hands.
    "Go back to digging," ,Jaz said with a wave of his hand to the butler.
    "Yes, Master," the butler replied with a monotone voice. Its pair of square yellow eyes blink once and it rolled away.
    "So Yang Yang, now that Boots is fixed up, may we have a private conversation?" Jaz was smiling.
    Sedge nodded.
    Jaz waved a hand and the others walked away without saying anything. Even Fab left with only a glance at Sedge and Jaz.
    "Why would they listen to you?" Sedge asked.

    
    "Why wouldn't they? I pay them to be here," said Jaz.
    "All of them?" Sedge didn't like that at all. Jaz's blond hair, though free of grime and dirt, was a chaotic mess on his head and yet, he appeared still more kempt than her. He must have arranged it all so he didn't have to do any type of labor. Sedge had not seen him do any digging.
    "Of course. You know how that works." Jaz widened his grin. People collector - that was what Jaz was known for. He knew how to take advantage of those who were poor or in debt. With one nod of his head, he could wipe anyone's slate clean as long as they agreed to do whatever he wanted.
    "What about the prize money? What happens if I found the tooth?"
    "Here's why I want to have a discussion. Work for me. I'll pay you. Even if you find the tooth, you'll only get some payment, nothing to brag about."
    Sedge raised an eyebrow at him. "But wasn't it supposed to be some big number? Half a million dollars, I've heard."
    Jaz nodded. "Sure, it could be that but if you have read your contract properly, you'll find it's only a tiny portion of that. You see, my father set up this hunt so I can find the tooth. We had a deal. I find the tooth, I get his inheritance, not my sister. It's very simple, Yang Yang, if you find the tooth, you let me get the credit. It's not like you don't need the money. And your pal Boots, I can pay him too if that's what he wants."
    "And if I don't want to work for you?" Sedge crossed her arms over her chest and stood up taller.
    "Yang Yang, I don't think you understand the situation. What are the chances you'll find the tooth? It's like a million to one. If you work for me, it's guaranteed you'll get some money from this. Well, do we have a deal?"
    Who did he think he was talking to? Just some vague promise of money and she should comply? Sedge didn't think so. But she smiled. "Okay, let me think about it."
    "Sure, take your time but don't make me wait too long." Jaz turned and left.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The crowd below was shouting and smiling. High in the sky, mounted on a dragon, Sedge sat grinning and waving. The dragon was grinning too. It was all over. Sedge had found the golden tooth and brought it to the city. She didn't care the prize money was less than she had thought. It was enough for her to start some business and keep on with her life. Among the crowd, she spotted Boots. He was smiling but his eyes seemed sad. Sedge started to tell him he can be her partner in her new business but then something pressed against her mouth.
    Sedge flipped her eyes open. She was dragged out of the tent. The morning light momently blinded her but as she shifted, she wished she had not opened her eyes.
    "I thought it over, Yang Yang and I think you should join me." Jaz sat in a folding chair with his arms crossed over his chest and one leg above the other, looking a bit too relaxed. Bits of sunlight came through the unruly trees, plants and cottages behind him and landed on the ground. With a tired expression, Fab was standing beside Jaz. The butler was motionless behind them.
    Steve Austin and Austin Steve was holding Sedge's hands behind her. Their grip were surprisingly strong. Sedge had not known the brothers long but they had seemed so peaceful.
    Jaz ran a hand through his blonde curls. "Well, Yang Yang, what do you say?"
    "I say 'I'll think about it.' And I will. Just give me time. A few hours is too short a time for thinking." Sedge smiled. She could free herself and run off but that would leave Boots helpless.
    "I don't have patience for time. Yang Yang, I'm not a bad person. I just want what I want. Right now, I want you to stop fighting me. Everyone here is working for me so why can't you? Too much pride? Too much integrity? With the crimes you've committed, I would be surprised you still think you're the good guy. Fine. Let me be the bad guy. Bring him out."  Jaz stood up.
    Davis and Daisy appeared from behind one of the cottages. They held Boots between them. His head lolled to the side so Sedge could not see his face but she heard his thoughts. He was awake. Run, Sedge, run. Sedge wouldn't leave him behind and besides, where would she go?
    Jaz walked toward Boots. He pulled out a pistol from his pants' pocket and aimed it at Boots' head. "I know this fellow is important to you since you were willing to murder me for him. Either you help me find the tooth or I shoot your friend. And I'll aim properly this time." Jaz laughed, loud and maniacal.
    Sedge scoffed. "So you did mean to shoot Boots."
    Jaz snickered. "That was an accident. I meant to shoot the dragon. Honestly, Yang Yang, I'm trying to make things easier for you."
    "You mean for you." Sedge glanced at Fab and the others. None of them were looking her way.
    "Alright, fine. It's all for my benefit but you will gain from me. If I win, you all win. Isn't it true, Fab?"
    "Yes, Jaz," said Fab with a small smile though Sedge could tell she didn't quite like smiling.
    Sedge sighed. This situation wasn't getting better.
    "Well? Yang Yang, if you're trying to decide if I will shoot your friend, no need. I will shoot him without hesitation. So don't make me do something you'll regret." Jaz shifted the pistol closer to Boots' head.
    "Fine! I'll help you find the tooth. Let Boots go!" Sedge didn't like being threatened but she must comply if only temporary.
    Jaz lowered the pistol and smiled. "Tie her up."   
    Steve Austin or was it Austin Steve, the short brother, pulled a cloth from his pockets of his overall and bind it around Sedge's wrists while her arms were held behind her by his brother. "Why are tying me up? I said I agreed to help you find the tooth." Sedge tried not yell even though she wanted to strangle Jaz.
    "I know you did but I think it's better you're tied up until we need you." Jaz grinned and put away his pistol.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Christine: Thanks. And thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Wow Jaz is terrible. Can't wait to see what sedge does to get out of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: Jaz is the designated jerk here but Sedge will somehow get out of his clutch.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. nice work! I'm enjoying the story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WendyW: I hope that you are.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut