"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

March 15, 2022

Book Queries & Curiosities

'Book Street' crop, 2022

Some book things I would like to discuss for no reason other than I had them in my head and needs to get them out.

01 | Should you judge a book by its bad reviews? — I think reviews can be a bit bias such when a person loves a book, they will most likely say good things about the book while a person who hates a book will most likely say negative things about the book. But if a book have hundreds of the same negative reviews, I can't completely ignore it. I do try giving books a chance even if there are bad reviews but sometimes these negative reviews are so accurate in assessing a book that I can't help but agree with them. Sometimes I really could not understand why people like a certain book but I believe every book has an audience even books that I don't have a taste for.

02 | Is linking to Goodreads a good thing or a bad thing?  —  Whenever I talk about a book (usually in my monthly book wrapup), I would link to a Goodreads book page so that I wouldn't have to write the synopsis because I suck at explaining what a book is about. I can link to any online book seller but that means having to choose which one and I don't want to choose but maybe when I link to goodreads, I sort of choose amazon by default. (If you don't know goodreads is a place to track your books and share what you're reading, according to the website here. I honestly only use it for book synopsis.)
    For book info, goodreads is pretty decent in terms of book synopsis (this is usually the same as amazon but sometimes it has the more recent, corrected version than amazon), reviews and links to purchase the book. So maybe goodreads seems a bit bias toward amazon since their link is more apparent and is usually first on the list on the list of sellers. Let's say amazon is very present through the site. (Amazon owns goodreads.) Sometimes I link to an amazon book page because there is no goodreads page or I didn't find one.
    In the Reader Q&A section, sometimes the questions never get answers even after years of being asked which makes me wonder who is responsible for answering those questions - authors or readers?
    I always found goodreads a bit unhelpful in that there are more than one listing for a single book. Yes, there are different editions to a single book but it's more helpful if they are under one listing. I'm also annoyed that the search button on the home page is at the bottom so I bookmarked my goodreads page to the children's category so that the search box is at the top.
    It would be nice to link to an author's website because it's their book and they should have better info about their books right? I wouldn't answer yes to this. But maybe I haven't seen enough author's websites to judge but I have seen enough sites that have very little info about the books, instead, they have links to book sellers because an author's websites is more or less a place to promote books and less of a place for hanging out or even get a book excerpt. I'll only link to an author's website if they have features that aren't available elsewhere or if I find the website offers a lot of information about the books.
    I would prefer not to make any links at all but then readers won't be able to know much about the books I talk about. So maybe I haven't looked hard to find an unbiased book place for book info but I think goodreads isn't bad but perhaps it needs a little improvement here and there. (I should mention I no longer have a goodreads account so I may not be accurate on some things here.)

03 | Should you judge a book by its sample? — If you read a lot of ebooks like I do, you might also read a lot of book samples. The samples usually consisted of a cover, some credits/publishing info, content listing, and a couple of chapters (usually the beginning of the book) but sometimes the sample has all these things except no chapters (and yes, there are book samples that does not offer any writing samples of the book which I thought is stupid because reading the content list does not make me want to read a book).
    It's not just synopsis that makes me want to read a book. Reading a sample of a book helps me decide as well. If a book sample has bad writing or writing style that irritates me or in one case, talks about something that annoyed me, then I wouldn't read the book. (For example, there was a book that starts with talks about the bowel movement of the main character which she seems to be discussing with her friend, not a doctor, her friend. Why would you start a book with such things? I decided to never read that book). I have read a lot of great samples that turned out to be disappointing books and I have also read a lot of mediocre samples but they turned out to be great reads so samples don't always help in judging how a book will turn out but at least, it's not a complete waste of time.

What about you? Do you judge a book by its bad reviews? Do you use goodreads or link to it when you talk about a book? Should you judge a book by the samples you read?

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Christine: Thanks. I'm still working on this piece but I really like the colors.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. I do not read reviews, blurbs, back of books or anything. I read the first 20 pages. If it has not caught me, I drop it. I am so often at odds with what other people think of books that all I can do is read for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: I often skip reading the reviews and sometimes even the blurb and just read the sample. It's true everything we say about a book might be bias so yes, it's probably better not to read the reviews and other similar things.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Lovely picture!

    Bad reviews are funny, they often help me know if I'll like a book but yeah if there's a ton of bad reviews I might pass on it rather than giving it a chance, so... mixed blessing.

    I like GR even though I don't use it much anymore. I used to link to it (very early on in my blogging) and I used to browse the forums... I don't do any of that anymore. It's a shame because it's a neat bookish social site, in a lot of ways.

    I LOVE book samples and can often make a decision on a book based on the very beginning, how it feels to me, so I think they're invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: There are bad/negative reviews that are so hilarious that I often think it's more fun to read then then book.

      Goodreads isn't bad but I suppose no one wants to support the big bad amazon...

      I love reading book samples especially when I can't decide what to read. I sometimes just read a bunch of them and not even bother reading the whole book.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    2. Ha I've done that with samples! And yes sometimes negative reviews are hilarious...

      Delete
  4. I do sometimes judge a book by it's bad reviews, but only if it has a lot of bad reviews, and it's a new author to me. If it's an author I enjoy, I don't care how many bad reviews it gets.
    I don't think samples sway me one way or another. I prefer the blurb, to determine if I read a book or not. Great questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WendyW: I think some books deserve their bad reviews but that's also an opinion just like most reviews but yes, if a book has tons of bad reviews, how could people ignore them?

      The blurb/synopsis is what gets most people to read the book but sometimes samples can sways you to read it too.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. Reviews: it depends. One of my favourite series has a lot of low ratings, but I understand that it's not for everyone - it takes a disciplined and fearless reader. Actually, in that case, when I read the bad reviews, I realised that the very things people didn't love about it, I would...so I bought it and I loved it.

    Goodreads: it's the practical choice.

    Samples: I ALWAYS read them before I buy (or simply request) a book. If I don't click with the writing style, I don't care about the story's sounding like my cup of tea.

    "(For example, there was a book that starts with talks about the bowel movement of the main character which she seems to be discussing with her friend, not a doctor, her friend. Why would you start a book with such things? I decided to never read that book)."
    Haha, really? My bad. Wise choice 😂.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta R: It's true that what one person hate, another will love so all books have audience, just sometimes they found the wrong ones.

      Goodreads is a pratical choice and I guess in a way, it's what we all hear the most.

      I also read a sample before deciding if I want to read a book but sometimes I just decide to read a book without reading a sample or knowing what's about, just to see if that works.

      I know the first few pages is what hook a reader but some things people really just prefer not to know about the main character, you know what I mean?

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. Pretty fresh and springlike colours in this art-piece.
    I always check out a book on Goodreads. I find their synopsis are good and I can usually guess whether I'll like the book or not. I like to read a book excerpt before I decide if it's for me or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra: Spring what I had in mind when I was picking colors for this piece.

      Goodreads seems pretty good with synopsis. Book excerpts or book samples really does help decide if you want to read a book.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut