"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

December 04, 2021

A Slow-Quick November & Movies I had seen

girl at bus stop drawing
sleepless, 2011
Usually I would have book reviews for the books I read last month but I don't. I did read a bit but there weren't any books I want to talk about. Sometimes I read short books and then forgot about them - that's all of my November reads. November was a stressful month, work-wise. It's normal for me to work and stress so nothing new there. Work mainly filled the hours. Basically I'm in some fog of sluggishness that I sometimes weave my way through out of. Can you believe the year is almost over? November seemed slow but at the same time, it went quicker than I thought. I think this whole year went far quicker than usual. I'm trying not to panic every time I read the news but it's easier to say than doing it. Anyway, here are the movies I have seen in November:

Luca
01 | Luca > link
It's a cute, fun movie. The visual is wonderful but there's not much of a plot other than a merboy going on land and having some adventure but it was very enjoyable.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1997)
02 | 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1997)
> link
I read the book a while back and it was boring with lots and lots details about sea life and sea stuff and I don't think I liked it much. I did enjoyed this movie adaptation even though I don't think it's faithful to the book.

Monster Hunt and Monster Hunt 2
03 | Monster Hunt
and Monster Hunt 2 > link 1, link 2
Both movies are fun and the little monster that looked like a radish was darn cute. This movie was slightly creepy but not enough to ruin my enjoyment. There were a few sing-dance numbers which I don't care for but overall, I enjoyed both movies and recommend watching one after the other since it really does continued from movie 1 to movie 2.

How about you? Was your November full of activities or were you lazy like me?

19 comments:

  1. I feel like November flew by, and yes this entire year actually. and the news seems like a dumpster fire mostly. I didn't know there was a 1997 version of 20,000 Leagues. I agree about the book though- -I was bored to tears. You'd think I'd like a book like that but I just think with it being older, and all the descriptions (yes they go on forever) it didn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: 20,000 Leagues did seem like a good book. I guess perhaps a re-read is needed. Perhaps it's the translation since it was translated from French. Who knows? There's also a tv mini-series of 20,000 Leagues but I didn't see that one.

      This year seems a bit too short I think. Let's hope next year will be better with better news.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    2. I do kinda like the old version of 20,000- that's fun.

      Delete
  2. I was busy all November - but for the life of me I cannot remember what with or whether I achieved anything. Which probably means I didn't. I love the purple boots on the woman huddled in the bus stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: I have no memory of what I did in November either, other than work but I kind of block those out.

      This one is an old drawing. I really like this one. It's the original, original version, you can say.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. 20.000 Leagues was a childhood fave of mine. I read this book and its sequel many times over - even writing what I now know is called fan fiction - a connecting chapter between the two books :) I wonder if I still have it somewhere, it's probably utter drivel.
    Actually I read most of what Jules Verne ever wrote. He was a prolific writer, and apart from the books we still know, he wrote a heap that are now sunken into well-deserved oblivion.
    He was one of the reasons I had French in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: I guess if I had read 20,000 Leagues as a child, I might actually had liked it better. Different mind-set, that sort of thing. Did you read it in the original French? The version I read was translated from French into English so perhaps that make a difference.

      Besides 20,000 Leagues, I only read Verne's other work, Journey to the center of earth which I like better.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. November just flew by! I blinked and it was gone! Didn't read any books, didn't watch any movies. What the hell DID I do? Who knows, lOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra: That's me too. I don't recall much of what I did in November. I only remember I saw these movies because I wrote them down.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes it feels like the only thing we do is work (or get medical issues, in my case). I mean, even when we don't work a lot, it almost sounds like there's nothing else for us in this life. And yeah, the whole year went by so fast for me too...but I guess it feels more and more the case the older we get...

    Nice art as usual - melancholic but lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta: It does feel like work dominate our lives sometimes. I suppose for me, the things that annoy or aggravate me the most, I remember more of it.

      That art is an older piece. I've always like for its melancholic feel.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. November flew by very fast! I didn't read as much as I wanted to either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WendyW: I think all the months flew by as well.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. Luca does seem like a cute, summery movie. The computer animation looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lectrice Vorace: I think I like it more for the animation than for the story. It's definitely a fun movie for children.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Christine: Yep.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  9. I thought Luca was a cute, sweet movie. Not huge on plot but nice.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: Same here. I really do like the animations, it just looks so good on screen.

      Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut