"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

August 24, 2021

Point of Views I Sort of Don't Like Reading

Top Ten Tuesday badge with books and a cup of tea
This week's Top Ten Tuesday is Books I Wish I Could Read Again for the First Time which is a good prompt but I just don't know why I would want to make such a wistful list when there are new books that I can indeed read them for the first time.
    So...I end up with is a list of point of view (POV) that I sort of don't like reading. I'm not saying I would never read books using these point of views but maybe I would hesitate in picking a book with them.

Here are my top 5 point of view I sort of don't like reading:

01 | Unreliable Characters — It's already fiction so why would I want to spend my time reading something that might just all end up being lies? I really don't get how you can enjoy such book.

02 | Cats/Dogs/Animal —  I don't quite like reading books told in an animal's perspective unless the animal is an extraordinary creature. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell is still one of my favorite books told in a horse's perspective so maybe I just haven't read enough books to like these points of views.

03 | First Person Present Tense — I don't mind reading in first person past tense but when it's first person present tense, it just sounds awkward to me. There are really only two books I read with first person present tense that I liked so maybe I haven't read enough to judge?

04 | Second Person
— I just don't like it. All that you, you, you, just annoys me. Also, I don't want to be as if I'm one of the characters in the book. For self help books, using the second person is fine, but not fiction.

05 | The Villain/Baddie/Evildoer — I don't really want to know their story or how they became or why they became the villain. I don't think there is a reason good enough for a villain's cruelty that will truly justify their actions. I guess what I really don't like is reading how a person becomes/changes to the worst person they can be.

What POV don't you like reading?

For more Top Ten Tuesdays, visit That Artsy Reader Girl here.

26 comments:

  1. I don’t like reading about things from the perspectives of a villain either.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-wish-i-could-read-again-for-the-first-time/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia: Villains are harder to understand, I suppose though it's better not to read their story, I think.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on most of these. Animal narrators are an especially hard sell for me. Just not a fan of that particular POV.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: I don't really read much animal POV but they really are to enjoy.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I don’t like the POV of the villain either, and usually I don’t like animal POV…but I did think that Suspect by Robert Crais handled the POV of the dog brilliantly.

    I also went with my own list this week: https://fiftytwo.blog/2021/08/24/ttt-ten-books-everyone-should-read/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori: I haven't read that many animal POV to really judge but there are good ones. Suspect sounds like it might be fun.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Christine: Happy Wednesday!

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. Interesting list! I don't know that I've read a lot of stories from an animal's point of view, but I can see how that might not be enjoyable. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poinsettia: I also don't read enought animal pov stories so maybe I need to read more to really judge.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. I don't enjoy reading first person present tense either! I've seen it done well a few times, but mostly it just bugs me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark: First person present tense can be good but mostly, like you, they just kind of bug me for some reason.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. I like unreliable narrators sometimes but it can also be annoying, because I'm reading to learn MORE lol and if halfway through I find out half the info I just got was wrong or maybe wrong- unreliable- that can get old very fast! :) First person present is tough. I've only read a few like that but they can be jarring.

    Second person and evil POV's can be tough for me to enjoy as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: I suppose some books with unreliable narrators might be good but I haven't read one that was good. First person present tense is jarring. Second person pov and evil pov - those are tough to digest.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  8. I also had some trouble with the original topic. This is a good theme you came up with! I like unreliable narrators in thrillers! I don't remember reading a book from a Cats/Dogs/Animal's perspective, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy the story very much.

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lectrice Vorace: Reading is preference so it's good you like unreliable narrator thrillers. Perhaps I need to read more of them.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  9. Great list! I don't think I've read a book in the second person. If I have, I don't remember it.

    The unreliable narrator can work, depending on the genre. I think The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is one instance where it really works, because you don't realize the narrator is unreliable until the very end.

    When you get the chance, I hope you stop over at my blog and take a read: https://readbakecreate.com/10-books-i-would-love-to-see-as-a-movie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: I have not read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd but I may try it.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  10. I agree - first person present tense is not my thing either.

    Second person usually isn't, but there are a couple I actually really liked.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Check out my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren Stoolfire: I guess it's all about your reading preference. I have not read a second person book that I like.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  11. I'm with you on most of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Azka Kamil: Actually, you don't have to agree with any of these but it's nice to know we have similar taste in reading.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  12. For 3 and 4, I think the writing really has to be stellar to make it work -- like N.K. Jemisin's work or Mantel's Wolf Hall. Otherwise, it's a tough call. And I hear you on 5 -- because I really don't want to know how the villain's brain works unless it's absolutely critical to the characterization in a mystery book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lex: I agreed, some books with amazing writing that you can ignore who was narrating.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  13. I do like reading historical saga's ...

    Happy weekend wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan: I'm much a fan of historical sagas but it's okay, we all have our preferences.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut