"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

August 01, 2021

Books Read in July 2021

When I said books, I meant one book. I don't know what happened but I can't seem to concentrate on reading so I only read one book. I'm not sure where the time went but it's gone and I can't get it back. But at least I can say I have read a book which I think is an accomplishment even if it's the greatest thing I ever done.

Premeditated Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle Mystery 1) by Elizabeth C. Bunce
Premeditated Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle Mystery 1) by Elizabeth C. Bunce > link
I think Myrtle is a great character and her governess Miss Judson is also someone quite likable. I had a somewhat good time reading this book. There were a lot of amusing moments but maybe I had too many children's mystery book but I find this somewhat boring but that might be because I wasn't in a good mood when I read this.
    I'm not sure I like the footnotes. As I'm reading an ebook version, I have to click on the symbols and see the footnotes but it just became annoying so I ended up reading the footnotes at the end of the chapter instead. If I'm reading a paperback or a hardcover, I can just see the notes at the bottom of the page which I prefer. I suppose since this is a children's book, these footnotes useful in helping them learn new things but are they necessary to the story? Not really.
   
Have you read any good books in July?

10 comments:

  1. Hey I like your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: I'm glad you like it.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Not necessary for you, but like you said, this book is for children, so the footnotes are necessary to help them learn. If you find them annoying just ignore them. I've managed to read 27 ebooks from the first week in June until now, and a couple of real paper books as well. I won't give you titles because they won't interest you, being adult murder mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River: 27 books? I wish I had read at least half that amount. I do sometimes read adult murder mysteries but I guess I lean toward more cozy mysteries.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Nice to have a change to a new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: Yes, I think so as well. Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. Love your new setup 😍 I read about 3 whole books last month, which is the pits. Used to read that many books in a week! Like you, I don't know where the time went, but I hope to do better next year. Sending lots of hugs 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ro: 3 is still better than 1. I also hope to read more books but I don't know.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. I like your new blog! It's pretty and clean and I'm excited to see what you do with it.

    I actually really enjoyed this book. I listened to it on audio, so maybe it's more enjoyable that way? At any rate, I found it entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: I'm glad you like 'Premediated Myrtle.' I read the ebook version so maybe the audio version is more enjoyable. I think I was too restless to enjoy the book.

      Thank you for dropping by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut