"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

September 06, 2024

Insecure Writer’s Support Group - Sept. 4, 2024

I decided to join the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. I hope being two days late in posting, they won't kick me out. I meant to join but always forget so it's why I'm late.
    Am I an insecure writer? Maybe half yes and half no. I haven't decided if the title of writer belong to me yet. I've been writing fiction for years but I haven't written a piece that I finished and truly proud of but it could happen one day. Assuming I'm not too lazy to finish it because I have a problem finishing my writing (and my artwork but that's not today's discussion).
    This month's Insecure Writer’s Support Group's question is: Since it's back to school time, let's talk English class. What's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?
    I didn't learn any writing rules because they didn't teach any, at least, not that I could remember. I attended public school and have a lot of classmates with English as their second language so there weren't any emphasizes on proper English. I wasn't even sure I had learned English the proper way, only that, I had learned it. It's only after I started writing fiction (and blogging which I started at about the same time) did I realize my grammar wasn't that great. I had used 'of cause' for years (on my blogs) before I realized the correct version is 'of course' since no one corrected me and spellcheck does not check phrases. I do wish I had learned proper grammar as a child or else I wouldn't keep doubting my words so much. [ More about the group over at the Insecure Writer’s Support Group blog]

If you're a writer, have you learned any rules or methods that is helpful with your writing? Or what's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?

12 comments:

  1. Insecurity when writing is not all bad it it makes us check the expressions we think are correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: You're right but sometimes all that checking can ruin your enjoyment of writing.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Chekhov: "Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass" -- i.e the "show, don't tell" rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra: I know that rule, it had been sort of stamped into my brain. But sometimes telling is not all a bad thing.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I remember most of what I learned in school. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Kirkland: I don't remember much of what I learned in school either. It's probably best that way.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of this group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta: So do I and that's why I joined.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. If you write and try to become better at it, IMHO you're entitled to call yourself a writer. Glad you joined the group. We're a friendly lot with so many common quirks and insecurities. https://substack.com/@cleemckenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cleemckenzie: You're right. Still, I like to have finished a good, long piece before claiming writer.

      I visited your site and cannot leave a comment. I'm sorry but I do not want to create an account just to comment. That might be silly but that's that. Also, your about page does not say anything about you or your books but I like your logo.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. Welcome to the IWSG! I hope you enjoy the group. I've found support and encouragement, and I always enjoy reading people's responses to the monthly prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet Alcorn: I've enjoyed reading people's responses as well. Thank you for your kind welcome.

      Thank you for coming by my blog. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut