"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

September 16, 2024

How do you decide which book to read first?

I am now only reading ebooks borrowed from my public library. I don't plan on purchasing any ebooks from here on unless I'm so desperate to read a book that I don't want to wait on the library or it's not available at the library.
    As I can only have 5 holds at a time, I find I have to be really choosy when it comes to which book to put on hold first. The wait time varies as it depends on how long each reader keeps a book but a reader can keep a book for 21 days but can extend the time after that. Basically, the more holds on a book, the longer the wait time. Sometimes I'm #102 on a wait list and other times I'm #2 so it can be a surprise which book is available first.
    I always have a problem deciding which books to read because the books I want to read aren't always what I want to read. For some reason, I sometimes loose interest in a book so I would cancel the hold or return it. Sometimes I end up with books just to test them and see if I'll like them. Also, I'm a moody reader. Most of the time I have six or less books on loan so if I'm bored with a book, I will start on a new one. (I can only borrow 10 ebooks at a time.) In general, which book I read first half depends on the library's availability and the other half depends on my mood.

How about you? How do you decide which book to read first?

5 comments:

  1. Mood. And to some extent what book I read last will often dictate what I feel like next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about being a moody reader; I'm like that, too. Sometimes I pick my next book by which one I think will make a good blog post. Sometimes it's what has to go back to the library first. But usually it's what I'm in the mood to read next. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mostly read paranormal romance so I just have to decide which monster I'm in the mood to read about. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a moody reader at all. I mostly read ARCs these days, so I try to approach them in publication order, but when I have time to read/reread a purchased one, I start with the one that I'm more excited about...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a tough one. I usually read about five books at any given time and try to have not more than three in one language, so that makes it a little easier.

    ReplyDelete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut