"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

August 03, 2022

Three Random Bookish Musings

girl gardener growing books
The book gardener (cropped), 2019
01 - The curious word: undulate — According to youtuber, Merphy Napier, undulate is used in a lot of books and I find that fascinating because I have not heard of the word until I saw her video. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, undulate as an adjective means having a wavy surface, edge or markings. Undulate as a verb means to form or move in waves; to rise and fall in volume, pitch or cadence; to present a wavy appearance.  
    Already I read undulate in a couple of books including The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and a few that I can't remember the title but I wasn't searching for that word but it came up. I can't decide if this is a good word or not but I find it amusing however it is used. (You can watch Merphy Napier's video about the word here.)

02 - Is hoarding books a bad thing? — I used to buy a lot of paper books and then stacked them in a pile in a corner and I keep telling myself I'll read them some day and I sort of did read some of them. But now I buy ebooks and I hoard them the way I do with paper books except there's no pile. Whenever I open my kindle and check out all the books I have and haven't read, I do feel a bit guilty because I spent money on them (I brought them mostly during sales and some of them were free) and they aren't being read and it seems kind of sad. It's easy to snag some ebooks without even thinking too much. Of course, I could also do the same thing in a book store but with less impulse because once I get them home, I'll have to find a place for them which isn't easy. Now ebooks, I can store 2,000 books in my kindle and not even think about spacing or even organizing them. I don't have 2,000 books but I certainly have a whole lot which I swear I'll read them some day. Maybe.

03 - Read or not to read because of one word error — I read a review where one person decided not to read a book because the author misused the words its/it's and I thought that seems like a petty reason not to read a book because it's one error which most readers can easily overlook. The error was in the beginning of the first chapter (and anyone reading the book sample would easily see it). I suppose since it's so close to the beginning of the book, it sort of makes the reader think, if the author can't use one word correctly, then perhaps the rest of the book would be full of errors as well which might or might not be true. Who can say if this mistake is because the author or even editor didn't know how to use these words or if the person who set up the text make that mistake or it really is an unintentional mistake. But it's a reader's choice whether to read a book or not for any reason, good or bad, reasonable or not. For me, I wouldn't decide on a book base on a single error because no book is error-free even if they seem so.

Have you find any curious word you keep seeing in the books you read? Do you think hoarding books (paper or digital) a bad thing? Would you stop reading a book if you saw one error?

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Christine: Are they? Something to ponder while you're reading.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. One word used incorrectly doesn't turn me away. A lot of them does. Sadly (particularly with more self publishing) I don't think enough attention is paid to editing.
    I am definitely a book hoarder. Which might be a bad thing but is certainly a happening thing.
    I like your new header too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: It's true self published book don't have better editing but then again, it might be also true of big publisher's books. I think people are not as attentive to ebooks as paper books. I rarely see errors in paper books but ebooks, I see a lot them.

      I think we're all book hoarders whether we think so or not. Books are just easier to hoard.

      I might have changed the header again but only with colors.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Undulate is an interesting word. And same here with ebooks. I was browsing through my Kindle recently and was surprised at some of the books I didn't remember I had. And same here with the error. I mean, I find errors all the time in my books now- editing seems to be a lost art (kidding- kind of) so I try not to be too harsh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: I find Undulate amusing since it's an odd word and yet everyone uses and somehow, it didn't sound right to me.

      I looked the books I had on my kindle and it's surprising I had more than I thought. Every time I see a free book, I am eager to get it even if sometimes it's not a book I would normally read. Something about ebooks is just so easy to accept especially when it's free.

      I also do notice there are more errors in the books I read so I don't know what's going but certainly, some books are published too quick to have time for a good editing. It really is quite easy to get a book publish these days.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. Errors - plural - is putting me off. More so when reading in a foreign language, where typos are not as obvious as in my native language, I remember thinking for a long time over the expression "A clam in the storm" where a native reader would have seen the typo at once.
    I am a paper book hoarder and possess over thousand books watching them like a dragon its hoard! No ebooks for me!
    Strangely I have never seen undulate as a fancy word, nor ever noticed its solely literary use. For me it describes that precise movement of water, or any liquid, or even ideas and fashions. It is a part of my everyday vocabulary ;) But I love that when you notice a word, it just pops up everywhere around. I dare bet I'll meet undulate several times in the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: One or two errors, it's fine but more than that, I have to question it. "A clam in the storm" - is it "A calm in the storm"? I guess the spelling does make one think.

      Undulate is your everyday vocabulary? I haven't heard of the word until I saw in a youtube video. I find that word quite strange.

      It's true, when you point something out to people, they go and look for it. I wasn't looking for the word, but I still find it.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    2. Yes it was a calm in the storm - one of those errors a spell checker cannot see ;)
      Undulate is not strange, comes from Latin 'Unda' meaning wave English have loads of Latin words ;)
      No, I don't mean to go looking for it, I mean that when you notice a word, thing, expression, whatever; it just starts meeting you everywhere. It might be coincidence, it might just be our brain focussing on the thing, I don't know.

      Delete
  5. I hadn't ever found the verb "undulate" in a book until I read White Space by Ilsa Bick, where the word recurs a few times too many LOL (I love the book though!). I didn't know it was so popular with writers...I think I only found it in another book after that one.

    Errors in books (even from big publishers) seem to be the norm lately. I agree with Greg above. "It's" for "its" seems to have become the new normal, and I HATE IT. I can read a book with typos and even rate it high if the story grabs we and the writing (typos aside) is engaging, but if I see a typo in the very first pages of an excerpt and/or in the very blurb, I'm immediately turned off. The author (and the editors) didn't even try, so why should I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing that gets me is that books (at least I'm told) go through edits and revisions, right? How do editors MISS some of the more egregious things? I wonder if publishing is in so much disarray right now that the editors are just... missing stuff left and right or standards have plummeted?

      Delete
    2. Roberta: Undulate is an unexpected word, at least to me.

      I actually think some publishers are too quick to put out a book that they didn't give enough time for editing, maybe. I have noticed there seems to be more errors in ebooks than paper books.

      I think errors in the beginning of the books is worse than errors in the middle of the book since it's the beginning and I always find beginnings are edited more than any parts of book, at least, I think so. I had seen blurbs with errors but not a lot, these didn't bother me unless something is significant that throws off the meaning of what's being said.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    3. Greg: Simple errors should be easier to notice but I think if you read something for many times which editors and writers do, you do miss things. But I agreed, some mistakes are just too dumb not to notice.

      I don't know if standards have plummeted but I noticed there are more self-published works than before. Certainly, with ebooks, it's become easier to release a ebook into the public without a lot of fuss. I read a lot of reviews saying 'this book needs an editor' which might be true for some books but it still depends on the reader. Some people don't notice errors. I only notice them because I write fiction.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    4. First off...I made a typo in my first comment haha ("if the story grabs we"???). About self-published books...that's not where most errors lie lately...lots of traditionally published ones seem to have the same problem...

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut