"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

June 01, 2023

May 2023 Books & Movies

May was a crazy-busy month work-wise and I really don't have the energy for blogging. I hope to find some patience and motivation to blog this month but June is looking much the same. Anyway, I didn't read much in May. I watched a couple of movies and rewatched a lot of old shows. Here are the medias I consumed in May.

Books I read


Valentina Salazar is not a Monster Hunter by Zoraida Córdova

01 - Valentina Salazar is not a Monster Hunter by Zoraida Córdova > link
There should have been a better villain or perhaps better monsters. I guess I don't like that the villain gets defeated so easily but there are a lot of fun elements in this book and I enjoyed most of it.

Flight of the Bluebird (The Unintentional Adventures of the Bland Sisters #3) by Kara LaReau with illustrated by Jen Hill
02 - Flight of the Bluebird (The Unintentional Adventures of the Bland Sisters #3) by Kara LaReau with illustrated by Jen Hill > link
I don't think this third book is as good as the first two but at least there's a good conclusion.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Movies I have seen

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
03 - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings > link
This was a superhero/monster/family drama meshed together and it was pretty good. The humor was kind of lacking but maybe it's just me. As for Shang-Chi, he was a bit bland to me but I suppose he's more of a subtle/understated character but mostly because he was upstaged by his friend/sidekick Katy, by his sister, and by his father. And does everyone think singing karaoke as a rebellious act as amusing? I found that mildly amusing.
    There was a bit more flashback than I like. I suppose no movie will ever just run in linear timeline but without the flashbacks, it would be hard to understand the characters. I was a bit annoyed by the bi-lingual talking - everyone except for Katy and a few speaks mandarin/english. In every instance when a person is talking, they just easily switch from mandarin to english or from english to mandarin and everyone understood even though I'm sure some of them don't but I guess in this world, everyone's bi-lingual. If I understood mandarin, maybe I would be less bothered by the language switching. I enjoyed this movie especially the bus scene in the beginning but it's not a favorite.

04 - Taken 2 > link
This was an okay sequel and it's quite similar to Taken 1. Although I do find it slightly amusing that the bad guys allowed him (Liam Neelson's character which I can't even remember his name) time to make a phone call in the middle of a ceasefire.

Turning Red
05 - Turning Red
> link
I really enjoyed this movie and I learned a new word - gyrating - some sort of dancing. It's just a fun movie though it's a bit sappy.

How was your May? I hope June is good to you.

12 comments:

  1. Look after yourself. We will keep the light on for when you are ready to return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: Thank you. I hope you're enjoying June.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Christine: Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. True. Taken 2 was quite similar to Taken 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haddock: I guess if I haven't seen Taken 1, it might be a different experience.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed Shang-Chi although its father/son conflict plot was kind of hackneyed. Some of the fight scenes were pretty great. I did find it dragged on about half an hour too long. I haven't seen "Turning Red" yet but it's on my "to see" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra She Who Seeks: Well, they have to have something about the father/son but you're right, there's nothing new about that relationship. I also did find the movie was a bit too long.

      'Turning Red' is a fun movie if you don't think too much about it.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. I liked Shang-Chi. didn't love it but liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: Same here. I suppose if Shang-Chi had been a better character, perhaps I might love the movie.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. I loved Turning Red mainly because it was written by a Toronto-based writer and I grew up in Toronto- so I thought the setting was fun and nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. paperbackprincess: Is that the only reason to love 'Turning Red'? I didn't know it was Toronto-based but I think I thought the setting and backgrounds were nicely done.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut