"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

July 19, 2021

The Sadness of Missing Back Covers for Ebooks

back of an ebook - Premeditated Myrtle by Elizabeth C. Bunce.
(Left) What I usually see at the end of an ebook. (Right) Popup notice to rate the book. Both are for Premeditated Myrtle by Elizabeth C. Bunce.

I now mostly read ebooks and I like it enough to keep on reading them. One thing that I miss is the back covers. Sometimes when I'm at the end of an ebook, I just keep tapping forward hoping to see something but there's nothing. Not to say there aren't any ebooks with back covers, it's just that, they are rare. Of all the ebooks I had read (less than 50), I only saw one back cover.
    Usually a paperback and hardcover have a back cover that had a blurb about the book and a UPC code. The back cover is usually used as a promotion/advertisement space to entice readers to buy the book. With ebooks, readers won't see the back cover unless they had already brought the book (or borrowed from the library) so I suppose this is why the back cover is no longer used

The back cover of The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane by Julia Nobel
The rare back cover of an ebook. This is for the book, The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane by Julia Nobel.

    For ebooks, the last page is either credits (such as publishers' info), acknowledgements, the book content list or the occasional book excerpt of another book followed by the the pop up box asking you to rate the book and that's that. I read mostly kindle ebooks so maybe it's different for Nook, Kobo, Apple or Google books? I don't know since I have not tried those but I assumed most ebooks are the same because I don't see publishers or even self-published authors, adding a back cover for one format and not the others.
    For me, the back cover of a book is a sign that the book has ended. Credits or acknowledgment to a pop-up box to rate the book does not do that. I guess this is another reason why ebooks will never be like paper books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut