"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." – Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

June 03, 2024

Some Bookish Thoughts

01 - I recently read a book's synopsis with these words: 'light her panties on fire.' That is, supposedly what the main character's would-be-love interest does because he's oh-so-sexy. This phrase clearly says something about the book. I don't want to draw conclusions base on this phrase but if a publisher or author chooses to use such words for their books, I get to judge them for it. Besides the phrase putting me off, the reviews tell me it's not a book most people (including myself) would want to read. But I'm not saying don't read it, I'm saying judge for yourself. (FYI, the book is Putting the Fun in Funeral by Diana Pharaoh Francis)

02 - I'm not okay with the practice of deleting listings and creating new ones. It's damm confusing. Recently, a book series that I had enjoyed and had ended but the author wrote a fifth book which is fine but the series got a new name and all the books had been retitled with new covers which would be fine too except now the previous listing is removed (for the ebook format anyway) and according to amazon, I didn't purchase the series so I get recommendations for them which annoys me because I don't know which book I did read because they have new titles. Why can't the series name and book titles change without being a new listing? Also, the books' pricing doubled which I suppose if an author had become more popular, they have a right to up their pricing.
    Then there is another series where the old listings are removed and new ones are made but there are no changes to cover art or book titles or series title. There might be reasons for it but I can't see it. And again, amazon says I didn't purchase the series so I get recommendations for them as new and since all the titles/name are exactly the same, it's very confusing. (Note: This is from the point of view of a kindle reader.)

03 - I've tried again to read Mansfield Park by Jane Austen but again, I failed to finish it.
I find it so dull that I can only finish the chapter I had been reading. I don't know if I will like or dislike Fanny (the main character) as she is still much like a side character who is a witness to other people's folly. I'm only up page 138 and the book is about 440 pages and I'm reading the paperback format which I thought should make me read faster but it seems to have the opposite effect.
    I want to finish Mansfield Park simply because I had finished Austen's other completed novels (Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion) and had enjoyed those. I don't care that Mansfield Park is considered Austen's finest work or that Fanny was her favorite character - those are not reasons to read it. I'm sure some people would tell me to give it up since I'm not enjoying it but I don't know. I have been trying to read this for the last five years or so. Is it time to give it up?

Do you have book complaints or book thoughts?

20 comments:

  1. My book complaint is seeing a book labelled as horror when it has to deal with mental illness. Not cool in my opinion and insensitive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. paperbackprincess: I haven't seen that but I rarely read books with mental illness and I don't read horror at all. But I have noticed how certain books are labelled under genres that wrong for the book.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. I haven't been reading a lot of books lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: It's probably good to take breaks from reading.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I have been caught more than once when a book has been renamed - often when it is released on opposite sides of the Atlantic. I find it intensely irritating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: I have noticed this about book titles. Usually, american releases gets new titles which is mostly about marketing. I see title changes more for children's books than other books.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. I hope there's some "heaving bosoms" to go along with those "panties on fire" in that book! Is it a "bodice ripper?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra: Sorry to disappoint you but it's a romance/crime/mystery/fantasy. I didn't read it but perhaps there's some 'heaving bosoms' in later books as it is a series.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    2. Debra: Edit: Maybe it does some love scenes but I didn't read the book but it's a romance, that I know for sure.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. New tilties to books, be it real books or e-books is not very reader-friendly. English and American - and Australian? - books sometimes do not have the same titles. Very frustrating. Also retranslations dong the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: I'm with all title changes but publishers had been practicing title changes for so long that I guess it's something that will keep going. It's all about marketing to different countries and languages. Sad but true.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. I have no interest in burning panties either 😂.

    Title changes...I don't get them. I understand giving books a new cover art to keep them fresh and hopefully make them appeal to new readers, but...I didn't know titles could go out of style too...

    Even if you like the work of a certain author and are a completist, I think you gave Mansfield Park a fair chance...5 years is a lot of time to try and enjoy a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta: If he literarily set her panties on fire, then it would be a different type of story.

      I don't think titles go out of style, more like, the publishers maybe are trying to win new audience?

      Something about completing, makes it hard to give it up. I think if I had read this book ten or even fifteen years earlier, I would have finished it already.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. I agree with the first point,
    but in some cases, what used to be considered cheap literature,
    is now accepted as literature!!
    However, I appreciate anyone who even reads this literature!
    Yes, it's annoying when books change titles!
    Lately I've been too busy reading occasionally without being able to finish anything like I used to! Thanks for the interesting topic!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katerina: Is that what that is - cheap literature? I guess that's the correct term. Books these days didn't even have to be written well to be successful but I guess they are reaching for a certain type of audience using that phrase.

      Some books reach audience with title changes without anyone knowing it had changed. It's all about selling, I guess.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  8. I totally agree on the first one. I don't read those kind of books and that would be a definite no-no for me.
    Also your second point. I have that problem even more often when they translate books, they often give them totally new titles and then rename them a couple of years later. For example, Barbara Kingsolver's book "The Poisonwood Bible" was first published under the title "Die Giftholzbibel" which is a direct translation. But then, a couple of years later, they republished it under "Willkommen in Kilanga" (Welcome to Kilanga). So, if you read the original, you might think, it's a follow-up. I'm sure it's not the author who did that but the publisher!! I hate that.
    The only point I don't agree with, is the last one. My least favourite of her novels is "Northanger Abbey". But because I love her others, I finished it. I guess it's up to you whether you want to tackle this one. We can't all like the same books. And, oh, I never heard "Mansfield Park" was considered her finest. My favourite is "Persuasion".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne: I have noticed that about translated books. The titles are often changed to something unusual or not making any sense.

      I don't know where I had heard it but someone did said Mansfield Park was Austen's finest work, maybe it's not true but Fanny seemed to be her favorite creation or so people said.

      Northanger Abbey was okay, not my favorite. Persuasion and Pride and Prejudices are my favorites.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. I'm sure someone would say it's her finest book but we don't have to agree with them, right?

      I prefer not to read translations from languages that I know but when I talk to German friends, I have to know the German title. LOL

      Delete
  9. Some books are just hard t ofinish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: It's true for whatever reason. Sometimes I can read a book in a day and other times, it's a slow crawl to the end.

      Thank you for coming by my blog. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut