"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

May 28, 2024

Almost Favorite Books

I've finally finished making the reading page (link is below the header - reading) to look as I wanted. For no reason, other than to fulfill my blog's first part of the tagline (reading & scribbling) I thought I share a list of my favorite books and some favorite quotes. It's not a definite list as I might find more favorites later on. Making this list has made me realized my reading taste has changed but I'm not sure if it's for the better. Anyway, I thought I share a list of the books that didn't make it on the list. You can say these are almost favorites books or maybe past favorites.

01 - The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
- I enjoyed the series but not all the books or how the series ended. My favorite or at least, the book I like the best in this series, is The Horse and His Boy.

The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw
02 - The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw
- I guess I kind of ignored the sometimes complicated writing which sort of make the story less enjoyable. I didn't completely mind the ending was depressing as I really liked the story.

03 - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- This used to be a favorite but now I find it a bit depressing with an undertone of something unsettling that I cannot place.

04 - The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- Honestly, I like the movie better but mostly because the grandson is less intruding and the ending ended at the point where all is happy rather than the depressing one in the book. When I re-read the book, I stop where the movie stops.

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
05 - The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
- I remember I really liked this when I read it but now I find it too depressing to even re-read.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) by Arthur Conan Doyle
06 - The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- As much as I like Sherlock Holmes, I didn't really like the stories all that much. Too much focus on the victims and the culprits' lives, not enough of Sherlock and Watson. And I guess I got spoiled by all the tv/movie adaptations.

07 - Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- Maybe I outgrew this but it's definitely the only book from an animal's point of view that I liked.

Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories
08 - Any Agatha Christie books
- I read tons of Agatha Christie last year (or it could have been the year before) but I don't have a favorite among them even though I did enjoy Miss Marple and Poirot's company. But mostly because I find murder mysteries are rather harder to be a favorite. Certainly, it's not so great for re-reads.

How about you? Do you have almost favorite books?

14 comments:

  1. He leído todos los que nombras y me gustan mucho. Por ahora no se me ocurre ninguno. Te mando un beso. Enamorada de las letras

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J.P. Alexander: Hey, we almost have the same reading taste.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. AnonymousMay 28, 2024

    Thanks for sharing -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: I'm always glad to share. Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day

      Delete
  3. Like you I find my tastes change over time. Some books I reread often. Others one reading is enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: It's true, some books reading once is enough.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. Tastes really change over the years,
    in recent years there has been a stability.
    For me at least it's getting harder and harder to spend long hours reading like I used to,
    I prefer the condensed meanings of poetry!
    Thanks for the beautiful thought provoking topic.
    Ηave a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katerina: I also don't seem to be able to spend hours reading like I used to.

      I'm not quite a poetry fan but I get why you would enjoy them rather than a book.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. First off - I love how your Reading Page turned out. The adjective you put next to the books to give an idea of their content(overall feel are a nice touch, and very useful! I noticed you described a lot of them as "quirky". I love quirky books. I might have to try some of them...

    The Almost Favourite list is a net idea too! Glad Agatha Christie made the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta: Quirky is my favorite word to describe books that are a little weird, just a touch. I think quirky describes most books I read.

      I do enjoy Agatha Christie's books but re-reading them is not that great since you know who the culprit is.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. It's interesting how our reading tastes change over the years. I've been a little reluctant to reread some of my older favorites in case I don't enjoy them as much now. I'd hate to ruin the good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley Sapp: Same here - I try not to re-read books I know I might not like now to keep the good thought about the book.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. The Princess Bride is my favourite movie... but not necessarily my favourite book. I found the book to be a bit too weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. paperbackprincess: I think most people prefer the movie because book is like two books, two viewpoints. I think I started skipping the grandson's point of view when I do reread.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut