"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
hello  |  artworks  |  writing  |  reading  |  bookmarks  |  home

July 17, 2023

2nd Blog Anniversary

art-girl reading surrounded by books & things
home, 2023
Today, July 17, 2021, is the 2nd year since I started this blog so I thought I share some thoughts on blogging.

01 - Blog anniversaries — I've been celebrating every blog anniversary and every time I reached 100 or 200 or more posts for every blog that I have actively blogged in but these days, I don't know if it's all that important anymore. But reaching such milestones is kind of an accomplishment for me. I have a (maybe) terrible habit of changing url's. I don't want to say I have settled here (on this blog) but I guess I did sort of arranged the so-called furniture in their proper place and may have tweaked everything about a million times but it's my blog home.

02 - Commenting — I believe blogs are for readers so I would never turn off comments. But I did once thought of turning off comments because it's a bit of work sometimes because I like to reply to all the comments left on my blog as a way to let readers know I have read/noted their comments. Not to say all bloggers have to reply to comments but if there's a question, I think that comment deserves a reply
    I know of one blogger who turned off comments so that if a reader wants to say something referring to one of their posts, they would have to send an email which is not necessary a bad thing. Some bloggers do prefer replying to comments by email (mostly Wordpress users) but you can't really do that with Blogger as some user had set it so that their email cannot be used for email replies.    I prefer to reply to comments in the posts so that conversations can carry on better as I think readers will have forgotten what they had read but mostly, I reply too late for anyone to remember what they had read.

03 - Is blogging on the decline? — I guess in some way blogging is on the decline seeing how people always list their social media places (ie, facebook, instagram, twitter, etc.) rather than a blog link or even a website. New social media keeps coming on and the list of icons keep increasing and yet, no one is quitting any of those social media. I've not seen anyone announcing a new blog or website for a long while but I think as long there are people blogging, there will always be blogs around.

04 - What have I learned in these years of blogging? — I like to say I have learned a lot and then proceed to list those lessons but I have forgotten all of them. I think the important thing is to just do what you like, it's your blog. And don't be an asshat even when people are rude. Okay, maybe a tiny bit if someone's particularly being an asshat themselves.

05 - Still enjoy blogging — I still enjoy blogging but maybe not as much as I used to compare to ten years ago. I suppose my blog (whatever the url) changes along with me or rather with my mood. These days, it wouldn't bother me much to not blog for a long while. I'm not on any social media so the only place you'll find me is here on my blog and probably will be for a long while unless google decides to shut down Blogger. There are other platforms, yes, but, they are not the same.

If you're a blogger, do you still enjoy blogging? Or if you're only a reader, do you still enjoy reading blogs?

22 comments:

  1. Happy Blogoversary! Wishing you many more as well. I do still enjoy blogging and it is my only form of social media. I think people who like to write and read are still blogging. It takes longer to do than just posting one-liners or photos or phone videos on the currently more popular social media sites, but some of us don't mind taking the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra: I guess that's why blogging is perfect for me, I trend to write on the long side. And I don't mind reading a long post or two.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Happy Blogoversary. Like you and Debra I don't use any other form of social media. And do my best to reply to comments. It seems like a common courtesy to me, if someone has taken the time and effort to comment that I should respond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child: 'if someone has taken the time and effort to comment I should respond' - I believe that too but some people don't have the time to reply which I can understand.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Ot you're a time traveller - post written two years in the past :) Joke aside; congratulations on you second Blogoversary.
    1. I am impressed. I'd like to, but tend to forget.
    2. Comments are for me an ingrained part of blogging. I have old posts on moderating, but not disabled. I thikn it is a bad idea.
    3. Blogging is on the decline - and at the same time on its way back. People stop blogging, bu t many return to blogging from Instagram and other "fast media".
    4. I have learned lots from blogging, new crafts, new places, and not least new people.
    5. Blogging has a special place. I do have a FB account (no IG as they keep banning me) and it is nice for advice when I botched a batch of soap, or have a weaving emergency ;) But it is not blogging. And I hope to carry on blogging iuntil I die or Google close down Blogger. Hopefully both lies many years in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte: Does it feel like now blogging is some old-fashioned hobby? Sometimes it feels that way to me.

      1 - It's no big deal to forget. You can always make up post late. I saw some bloggers has one of those calendar/time gadget on their sidebar counting down the days until their blog anniversary.

      2 - I have tried the moderating the older posts but honestly, I'm too lazy to approve posts.

      3 - That is true, I do see some bloggers returning to their blog but not a lot.

      4 - Ah yes, I too, have learned some things from other people's blog. It's nice that bloggers can teach you things that you probably may not even thought about.

      5 - I've never tried FB but it does sound nice to get advice when you need it. Let's hope Google keep Blogger around for a long, long time.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tips. I just found me a countdown timer for my blog :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Blog Anniversary. I know you have been blogging for longer than two years but I see what you mean. I think any anniversary is an achievement and having blogged for a certain amount of time, no matter whether that's daily, weekly, monthly or from time to time, is great for the internet community.
    I love your remarks re. blogging and might take up a remark or two when my next blogaversary is up (October) because I totally agree with them. I like to respond to every comment and find it a bit much sometimes but I would never turn off comments. I have turned on "approval only" for anything a little older because I got too many spam comments and blogger, unfortunately, doesn't give us the chance to block certain users.
    Thanks and I hope we will celebrate many more anniversaries with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne: Any blog anniversary is an achievement even if we don't think it.

      It's a bit of work sometimes replying to comments but I think it's worth the effort.

      As I don't get much spam, I turned off approval for older posts but I'm also lazy. It's true, we can't block people from commenting but if they said something that is just too much, you can delete their comment, that's the right of a blogger.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree. And I always respond to everyone who comments on my page but it does take some time.

      And yes, we can always delete stuff. And it was never anyone saying something rude or whatever, just companies who want to advertise their products or services. They write something like "nice post" and then add tons of links to their page. Not for me.

      Have a great day, as well. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. "I don't want to say I have settled here (on this blog) but I guess I did sort of arranged the so-called furniture in their proper place and may have tweaked everything about a million times but it's my blog home."
    I love this metaphor.

    I believe in replying to comments...even if probably most people don't even go back to read the replies. It's an act of courtesy, beside having an interaction value. Then again, if one gets tens of comments a day/week, I guess they can be excused for not replying...or at least they take the time to comment back instead, which is how you realise they must have read your comment.

    Blogging is less popular than 10 or 15 years ago (thank you, Tik Tok and the like 😬), and maybe there are less new bloggers around, but we old timers still haunt the web LOL. Then again, I still think that the written word is the best medium if you review books, so I guess book bloggers will never go away.

    Happy 2nd anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta: I must admit, I don't always go back to read the replies as I sometimes forget to but I do read them when I remember to.

      Sometimes I do prefer short posts but blogging is like extending your thoughts and ideas a little farther.

      I think we'll always need book bloggers, how else to find new books to read?

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. Happy blogiversary! Blogging is a part of my life since 2007!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: I've been blogging just slightly longer than you but I think you beat me with your larger amount of posts.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. Happy blogoversary! I do still enjoy blogging. To me it's fun and more so than most of the other social media stuff. I think it's on the decline in lots of ways but then again many of us are still here too. I feel the same way though- if Blogger went away (knock on wood) I'd have to learn a new platform. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg: As long as we all keep blogging, there will always be blogs around. I think I'm so used to Blogger, even when they don't behave properly, that I really don't want to learn a new platform.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  8. I think blogging is on the decline because it has a lot of competition today — YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, podcasts — and it requires more work and effort to build an audience. People would rather skim content quickly and interact with the content creators. I still LOVE blogging and reading blogs. Happy Blogiversary! 🎉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lectrice Vorace: You're right, there are a lot of competition to blogs, so many places and probably new ones will crop up, blogging can't really compete. But as long as there are bloggers, there will be blogs.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  9. Happy Anniversary Lissa. As you can see I’m back to public blogging as of this weekend. Can you believe we’ve known each other about 20 years? Looking forward to sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances D: Has it been that long? I feel old now. Hope to see you around blogging more.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  10. I'm late, but I hope you had an amazing blogiversary. :)

    I agree about commenting, I feel like blogs would merely be news articles if you couldn't comment. There is more connection and interaction between the blog reader and the writer, and I like that in blogs.

    Also love your art as always. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinely: Late is fine. I'll have a lot more anniversaries coming.

      That is why blogs aren't social media. So yes, you can comment on social but I don't belive it to be the same.

      Thank you for coming by. Have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
- Kurt Vonnegut